Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Long term update at 27,000 miles

Discussion in 'E85/E86 Z4 M roadster/coupe (2006-2008)' started by Steve1, Jun 4, 2009.

Steve1 guest

No problems of any kind. Does not use oil like I was told it would by the service manager. So far, knock on wood, it does'nt use oil at all. I don't store it. I drive it long distance (120 miles) about twice a week. :p

Bought it in September of 2006. Still can make a grown man giggle like a school girl.

If yours is "up there" in miles, how have your frequency of repair experiences been? Anything to watch out for?

Anybody notice that the service manual calls for an amount of oil that goes way over the max line on the dip stick? Maybe about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart over. You can tell the car is pretty solid if that's all I'm concerned about at 27,000 miles.

The honeymoon is'nt over yet!

az3579

Ha, how is 27k "up there" in mileage? It won't be fully broken in until over 100k!

03BeastCharmer

I always end up having to take the car back to get them to fix the level, so it's correct based on the dipstick, and not above the top :mad:

E30 show off:p

There are some E85/6 ///M's with 50-60K miles on them. My '07 has about 7,700 miles, so I have a long ways to go.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Do not overfill. . .

Depending on the engine, I hesitate to go over the MAX line with oil. If the car has been running, I won't even add oil (let's say it looks half a quart low) unless it has cooled overnight, allowing all the oil to find its way back to the sump. Too much oil tends to create too much internal vapor pressure, which tends to look for ways out past seals and gaskets. Eeeew.

That said, there are exceptions. Common track practice is to overfill by half a quart or so, especially in V8 engines and especially at tracks like Fontana which feature pretty aggressive G's which MIGHT occasionally lead to the possibility of momentary oil starvation. (Since they won't allow my roadster anywhere near a track, this is not a concern in that car!)

In general terms, oil a skoshe LOW on the dipstick is preferable to overfilling. But if I'm driving the twisties any time soon, I would prefer to be at the full mark. (But then, I have owned cars---not BMWs---that flashed the oil light on hard left turns, telling me I was at least a quart low. . . but usually two or even three.)

This discussion is moot in regard to new cars, of course. But now the new iDrive system features a functioning---and accurate, I hope!---visual indication of exact oil level. In fact, it kind of looks like a video dipstick! :D