Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Long term S65 problems

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by oconnej, May 17, 2016.

oconnej

I know this may be hard to predict, but I'm looking for opinions on long term reliability of the S65. I've read the forums regarding reliability issues such as valve springs, rod bearings and throttle actuators. My car has 35k miles, about 10 track days and 6 oil changes as well as full maintenance including spark plug change at 28k. The car has been absolutely reliable so far, but I'm concerned about catastrophic engine failure, such as from a failed valve spring. Please let me know what you have experienced, as I'd prefer to keep the car if possible. Thanks.

charlson89

From the S65's I have seen they have really not had to many of those issues. I have worked on plenty of them with 100k miles on them with no issues. The bearings seem to go bad faster with vehicles that have been upgraded for more power. If you keep up on your maintenance and do more frequent oil changes then BMW recommends especially if you track the car. At your mileage I would just keep up on the maintenance and enjoy the car. If your that worried I would look at getting a extended warranty either third party or through BMW CPO program would give you a piece of mind about the engine.

oconnej

Thanks for the advice!

330indy1