Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Like a phoenix rising from Arizona!

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by mooseheadm5, Mar 15, 2010.

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

The M5 lives!

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=65920

Now to install brakes (giant 4 piston calipers,) fix all the stuff the previous shop did wrong, replace stuff the PO stole off the car, replace the interior, etc.

Sweet.

granthr

That is very exciting! Any pictures, or did you focus on the mechanics at this point?

mooseheadm5

I've got pics at home of the charred underbelly and the freshly painted tunnel, but I stopped touching the camera after I got Wurth rust guard all over my hands. This stuff does not wash off. At all. I'l post those pics tonight. In any case, the underbody can be photographed next time I put it on the lift. I didn't take any pics with the intake off, but it may come off again for general cleaning and so that I can spray the side of the block with some engine paint.

az3579

IT LIVES!
    I might just make the trip down for V@V... I hope to see you there!

Look at the bright side; now your hands won't rust. :D

Brian A

I N C R E D I B L E that you did that all in one night. Incredible.

That is going to be one seriously cool car. I love those things.

mooseheadm5

Pics are up at the link above (you can only view them at MyE28.com.)

tiFreak

awesome work, there's only so many of them left in the world, glad you're fixing it

mooseheadm5

I was in the zone. Having a lift helps. Actually, I had to take a break to load parts into my wagon since the shop owner was cleaning up the shop. I also took an hour to go home and eat a granola bar and visit with my brother in law. In all, I think I was at the shop working on the car for 8 hours. The rest of the time I was cleaning the shop or at home. Not sure if I have another night like that in me for a while, so I think I'll pace myself for the rest of the project.

Brian A

How much of the interior wiring needs to be replaced? Can't tell from the photos if its major rewiring or just cosmetic work.

mooseheadm5

That will nrequire quite a bit of rewiring. I pulled quite a bit of harness from a parts car. I have to take the interior apart down to the floorpan and replace any wiring in the tunnel area, the carpet, the AC and heater cases, cruise wiring, and probably a bunch of other stuff. It will be "fun."

mooseheadm5

I haven't been on the CCA site in forever, but check out the original link for tons more updates on the car. It made it to Vintage at the Vineyards and I am toying with going to PVGP in July.

[IMG]

granthr

Wow! Just went through your thread! Great to see the M5 on the street. You must be loving it! :D Can't wait to see it with the Euro bumpers! :)

Brian A

Did the same thing.

What a story. That was like you ran a marathon at a world class pace. Amazing. Most people just hit "the wall" and drop out.

Hope the car is running well.