Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

lights on the OBC keep blowing

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by Bullet967, Jan 14, 2012.

Bullet967

Hello all, I have a rather weird problem (at least to me). I am re-storing a 1991 E34 525i, and the lights on the OBC keep blowing about every 3 weeks or so. Is it the OBC, or what? Next I have a fuel gauge problem and do not know where to start fuel sending unit or Insturment panel. Please let me know where to start on both.
    Thank you.

BMWCCA1

Where are you getting the part number for the bulbs? BMW for years had an incorrect bub listed. I believe the correct one had a large rectangular black base and the incorrect one had a flat gray base with a hegagon cast into the bottom. The voltage was completely different between the two. The correct one is the same as used many places in the instrument cluster. Give us a part number or photo of the ones your blowing and I'm sure someone here can come up with the right one. Any parts-counter person on the job more than ten years should have an answer for you. Or I can check our bins.

The correct one I believe is 12v and should look like this if I can attach photos to this new forum:

[IMG]
    The wrong one looks something like this:

[IMG]