Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Lessons Learned, or... "the moral of the story is..."

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by MGarrison, Jan 12, 2009.

RaketeBlaue guest

MBUSA told me to work it out with the dealer, were very indignant and actually suggested that I should Lemon Law the car as well. The dealer said are going to "try to goodwill warranty the rack". This outta to be interesting. I hope they don't, gives me reason to buy another BMW! :D After further consideration of the lemon law comments I can only deduce that MBUSA will stick me on the value of the car if I want to walk away but will probably give me generous incentives to buy a new model to move inventory.

Oh yeah, when working on the seats or removing the seats of all newer BMWs, don't turn on the igntion or bring your key near the car. I was replacing a cracked piece of seat trim and had to remove the seat. After I had disconnected everything but the power to the seat motors, I turned on the ignition to run the seat back to access to the rear bolts securing the seat to the body. After the new piece of trim was installed, the seat properly mounted in the vehicle and all of the sensors and various electronic devices plugged in, "Passenger Air Bag Fault" message appeared on the I-Drive screen. I immediately new that by turning on the ignition while the seat was unplugged I caused the fault. :mad: Doh! After dropping $135 to clear the code, my quick 20 minute, $10 repair had escalated to $145 and 2 hours at the dealer! Words of wisdom from my dealer, "don't put your key in the ignition or bring your key near the car next time"! Other comment was, "BMW would have replaced under warranty". I guess I am just too honest, I broke it, there was no manufacturing defect, so I fixed it!

MGarrison

here's one - when disconnecting any fuel line or fuel component, wear nitrile/rubber gloves, and cover the junction with a rag. If the fuel system's pressurized, you might get soaked in gas. On an E30 at least, if the car's been sitting overnite, the fuel system will probably have de-pressurized. Always keep a good fire extinguisher at hand too, particularly when addressing anything flammable.

bit of an aside, but - lately here in town some guy caught his mattress on fire, (I think from a candle), tried to drag it outside, and caught the rest of his house on fire; oops.

CRKrieger

Yeah; I better throw mine out. It has apparently been a dangerous POS for the entire 30 years I've been using it without a problem ...:cool:

Can you say, "Operator error"?

RaketeBlaue guest

Wheels down right? Guess the consumer safety recall for that model jack following my incident was a result of numerous "Operator errors". ;)
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

CR, yours was probably made in USA 30 years ago. Later ones, probably not.

That said, one should have one's jackstands at the ready to immediately install unde the car. Jacks are not to be trusted to support weight for any amount of time.

CRKrieger

If you are referring to a particular model, then it might behoove you to say so in the first place. Otherwise, it's like saying, "Don't buy BMWs! They tear out their suspension mounts!"

UKFan4Sure guest

Never push the clutch in to let your car roll forward slightly to look for a nail in your tire......while standing outside of it....with the key in the "on" position.....:mad:

It WILL start. And if in gear it is quite capable of taking down your nice, freshly stained privacy fence (or worse).

.....NOT that I would know or anything like that. It would take a real Einstein to do that, right?? :eek:

cj morgan guest

Never show off with your girlfriend in the car by drifting on a snow covered road with a rear wheel drive E30...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I think you should rephrase that, because that is an excellent way to show off if you have the right tires/road/skills.

az3579

I can relate, only I wasn't showing off to anyone. Just did it for the pure fun and excitement!

Though I could modify this statement a bit...
    Don't show off in front of other people drifting around in an E30 because there's pressure to do it right; do it wrong and you will disgrace not only yourself but your car as well! Though it wasn't made for drifting, my God can it do it right (as long as the driver doesn't screw it up). :D

I do admit that I once spun out in an area with no traffic and just happened to have someone there on the sidewalk witness it all. I wasn't too concerned though because I had a huge and stupid grin on my face from the experience...

desertVert guest

Lesson learned

After replacing your carpet, make sure all the bolts that hold your seat in are tightened down before you take the car out for a drive. :cool:

az3579

Same applies to when you are putting in your sport seats at 9 in the evening when it's 10 degrees out and can't wait to try them out in the twisties. :D