Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Leather Care - What's best?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mmilano, Aug 12, 2011.

mmilano guest

I just purchased a 2008 335i convertible with a tan leather interior. With the top down, my interior will see more sun than the average interior, so I'm concerned about finding the right kind of leather care products. I have heard that many leather cleaners contain alcohol or other substances that make the leather look good in the short term, but ultimately damage and dry out the leather. Any suggestions on the best products to use? Also, any suggestions on what to use on the dash? I do not want that slick, shiny ArmorAll look. I just want to keep the interior clean and protected.

Thanks,

Matt

John in VA

mmilano guest

BMW's leather cleaner

I picked up some leather cleaner/conditioner yesterday at the BMW dealer (branded with the BMW logo on the box). However, I notice that one of the ingredients is benzene. While I'm sure this is a great cleaner, it seems like it would really dry out the leather (strip it of its oils). Any thoughts?

swiftytoenails

I clean my entire interior with a solution of Woolite and water diluted to 1:32 in a 40-oz. spray bottle. Woolite won't harm anything and cleans very well. Once clean, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant for its outstanding UV protection. If the leather is in bad shape and needs attention, I would suggest the Leatherique combo of Pristine Clean and Rejuvinator Oil. It's a little pricey and requires a bit of work, but the results are spectacular if the instructions are followed.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Out here in SoSoCal, Party A tends to apply Bick 4 to anything made of leather to keep it soft. It works especially well on boots, of course, since that's what it's meant for. . . .

But it makes a BMW interior something awesome.

AugustneverEnds 1988 325iS, 1989 750iL

Bick 4? Where can I pick up some of that? Also does anyone have any experience with Leatherique products? I have seen some ads online for their stuff but never have used it. I have an '89 750iL with indigo leather that's very dry and in need of help. Thanks for any suggestions! PS to Mr. Carlson, Bravo for your work as editor of Roundel, it's a superb magazine!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You might try http://www.bickmore.com/bickmore/Leather%20Care/Bick4.html. We buy this stuff literally by the gallon. Leatherique is good, and I just used about half a bottle of Lexol (cleaner) on the roadster seats before massaging them with Bick 4.

As for Roundel, thank you for the kind words!

Modern Motion

There are many quality cleaners out there for leather. Bickmore is good, stay away from saddle soap or anything that contains petroleum or mineral oils. Your leather may look good for awhile but the fibers will actually rot in time. I have used Leatherique for years, it is great for rejuvenating older seats. I had an early 80's 6er that had seats that felt like cardboard, the Leatherique softened them up like new. I am an authorized distributor and have always offered a 15% discount to fellow CCA members for all of my products.

AugustneverEnds 1988 325iS, 1989 750iL

Hey thanks for the information. How can I order from you? My e-mail is patras2353@verizon.net if you prefer to send info that way.