Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Kneed headlight switch, need headlight switch...

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by JamesAustin, Mar 14, 2016.

JamesAustin

In an amazing feat of cleverness and dexterity, I slipped on something in a parking lot and kneed my headlight switch into my dashboard. The switch still works, but is now recessed back into the bezel where it's hard to turn and doesn't look right.

My car is a 2011 E91 xDrive with halogen (not Xenon) headlamps, front foglights, and rain-sensing wipers. And a newly-bashed-in chrome headlight switch...

I already planned to modify the switch to enable the secret rear foglights anyway. Now that I'm stuck replacing the switch, I might as well install the European headlight switch which visibly enables the rear foglights and adds a dimmer switch for the interior lights.

So, what's the best place to buy one? As far as I can tell, BMW's part number is 61319169406 (Control Element Light, PERLGLANZ CHROM). Schmiedmann has new ones for $101 (out of stock, three days) and used ones for $45 (out of stock, five days) but asking something that's not even in stock to get from Denmark to me in time for the April 2nd DIY may be pushing my luck. BMWFANS.info says they cost $95.44 but doesn't say WHERE they cost that. ECS Tuning has them for $150 but, well, $150. Are there any other places worth looking?

Oh, and a hearty [expletive deleted] to whoever dropped that big chicken bone in the parking lot. My headlight switch does not thank you, but the local rats surely do.

MGarrison

I've seen that on ECS but hadn't looked elsewhere. Try googling "BMW" with the part number.

JamesAustin

I have. After ECS Tuning, most of the hits are sites that list part numbers for reference but don't sell them (or tell you who does).

Is Schmiedmann a good outfit? How long do their orders take to cross the Atlantic?

MGarrison

They've been a Roundel advertiser for quite some time, that's about all I know - I haven't bought anything from them so no insight there.

JamesAustin

I called ECS Tuning; they said they haven't had one in years and doubt they could get one now. I suppose I'll go with Schmiedmann...

MGarrison

Interesting comment from ECS, memory can get fuzzy, but I swear it was last year I got an email from ECS announcing the availability of the switch - oh well!