Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Is it really "OK"?

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by mrsbee, Sep 4, 2013.

mrsbee guest

So, I never thought I'd be the one to utter the "I wish I had a dipstick" debate, but I find myself questioning the validity of my idiot lights.

It's not quite time for my oil change, but I have done some pretty, ahem, intense driving these past few thousand miles. I have OCD and check my oil level every time I get in the car, and have watched it slowly tick down from full to this level.

A friends said it's "OK" until the car informs me it's thirsty and needs some oil, but I guess I'm paranoid.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Better safe than sorry... if you doubt the condition of your oil, $98 will cover what my dealer calls a "mini" oil service. BTW, with the hot summers here in TX, I check my coolant a few times over the season. Have found that reservoir to be quite low in the past. These cars are smart, but can't avoid the laws of physics.

mrsbee guest

It's always nice getting help from a fellow "bee".

I always said "better safe than stranded".

charlson89

Would not worry a bit this will happen especially during "spirited driving". The car will tell you if it does need oil.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

So, Mrs. Bee,
    Do you subscribe to the 15,000 mile oil change interval?
    It seems like that's the question you have to ask yourself.
    This Bee, not so much...

mrsbee guest

The Tard has been getting a blood flush and refill every 8500 give or take 500 miles. Mr. Bee was pretty okay with letting it go for 15,000, but I guess i'm a little more paranoid than he is about engine components. I suppose after having three cars in a row that I've had to add a quart of oil every 1500 (not thousand) miles, I'm kind of taking a hard swallow.

Is this the beginning of a long and beautiful relationship of me popping my hood and "fillin' 'er up?"

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Well... I don't think so, but just like every pilot inspects his/her plane before
    taking off, it's not a bad idea to take a peak under the hood when
    you check the air pressure in your tires. You do check the air pressure
    in your tires every 30 days or so, right? I usually check the coolant level,
    fill up the washer solution reservoir & wipe the dust off the top of the engine.
    If a dip stick was present, that would get some attention too.

Like you said, better Safe than Stranded. :rolleyes:

ChristopherG

Fresh oil every 6,000 or so miles here. Oil is cheap engines are expensive so better safe than sorry.

If you're really concerned or just curious blackstone labs in Ft. Wayne Indiana does oil analysis for $25 and will let you know how the oil is holding up under the current change intervals and if metals found in the oil are in line with expected engine wear.

mrsbee guest

So...although it doesn't paint me in the best colors, I'll be honest...

The oil level was driving me insane, after driving the "purple punk mobile" for three years that would squawk like stepped on chicken every time the oil got low, I got paranoid and added oil. I added what I felt was a sufficient amount to make up for the deficit, but then let the car sit quietly in the garage for three days while I rode my motorcycle to the various places I had to go.

The first time I started the One up, after adding the oil that is, a puff of white smoke came from the exhaust and persisted longer than I feel comfortable with. Is it possible that the smoke came from over filling the oil, although the idiot gauge told me the oil was "full" and "OK".

I don't like to press issues, but if I had a dipstick to reference when adding oil, I'd know when enough was enough, instead of taking a wild stab in the dark and thinking "perhaps a quarter of a quart would suffice."

Do you think I should expect this puff of pyrotechnics until the excess oil is burnt OR do you suppose it's something else?

ChristopherG

It's more likely the puff of smoke is from oil vapor condensing in the intake and crank case ventilation system then finding it's way into the engine at start up.

It's also part of why direct injection engines often times need to have the intake removed and the valves cleaned.

It's more than likely just fine. How much oil loss for how many miles of driving?