Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iPOD 4th Gen Nano Playlist Control

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by M3Driver, Jun 20, 2009.

M3Driver guest

I have three different playlists on my iPod. Is there anyway to control what playlist is being played/accessed through the BMW OEM Business radio? I have the OEM iPOD interface in the car (cable in the glovebox).

thanks in advance.

Jonathan Spira guest

I haven´t tested this particular iPod with the BMW iPod retrofit kit but what do you see when you go to the iPod (CD Changer) setting on the radio in terms of options?

For most iPods you can select genre, podcast, album, artist, and playlists (disguised as CD1 CD2 etc.)

M3Driver guest

I do in fact see the CD1 and CD2 options. Is that the playlist selections? If so I'm guessing by selecting one of those may be the answer. I will give that a try on the way to work this morning and let you know.

thanks...

Jonathan Spira guest

Ja, CD1 and CD2 etc. are the menu choices for playlist, genre, album, etc. Please do report back but I'm fairly certain you will be quite pleasantly surprised.

P.S. Didn't the dealership give you a manual when they installed the iPod interface?

M3Driver guest

OK; it appears I was mistaken; our X3 with the 3rd Gen Nano shows the playlists. My M3 only shows
    "CDC" in the corner of the display. Pressing several buttons on the radio does not cycle through any playlist at all.

It also won't charge since the charging circuit for that version changed and I got an adapter at the Apple store that solved that a while back. With or without adapter the result is the same.

User's Manual: yeah, I have it around here somewhere (I think) :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if there is something different between the 3rd/4th Nano. I can plug my wife's 3rd gen in and it shows up exactly like you referenced.

Jonathan Spira guest

I'm confused - the 3rd gen nano works in which car the way I referenced?

M3Driver guest

Sorry; that's what I get when I get in a hurry and my dachshund is barking right beside me......

The X3 works like you mentioned in an earlier post (playlists CD1, CD2 shows up in the radio on the X3 AND my M3 when I use a 3rd Gen Nano. You can cycle through the playlists

4th GEN Nano only shows "CDS" in the radio display and pressing the appropriate buttons on the radio does not appear to do anything. It also behaves the same way in both vehicles hence me thinking there is something about the 4th Gen iPOD that is different.

Jonathan Spira guest

Then it would appear that the 4th gen. Nano is incompatible.

In addition, I suspect that the X3's interface will work differently than the M3s.

The X3 has the older iPod interface which only supports pre-determined playlists (unless something has changed very very recently).

The M3 has the MOST bus retrofit kit and that will provide support for artist, playlist, genre, although the buttons will still be labeled CD1, CD2, etc.

So you need an older iPod, essentially, for this to work.
    1 people like this.

M3Driver guest

Yes, that's certainly what it seems. I have heard that BMW is aware of the charging issue (since it affects some new iPhones) and is working on a new cable but that is purely rumor-mill stuff. Perhaps that might fix the playlist issue also.

We'll stand-by to be standing-by....:D

Cheers...

Jonathan Spira guest

The new cable would be for the factory iPod/USB option, not the retrofit kit.