Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Intermittent Steering Wheel Controls

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by mcanha, Feb 26, 2011.

mcanha

Hi All
    I have a 2000 740i with the sport package that includes the sport steering wheel. Just recently the steering controls (and lighting) work intermittently. Usually just turning on and off the car will "reset" this and they work for a time being. It does not seem to be associated with the steering angle.

I did recently have the Navigation Head unit (screen) changed. Not sure if a problem with this unit could cause something like this? Only thing that has changed with the car recently.

Anyone else see this problem?

Cheers
    Mike

cwbiii guest

possibly...

Accessing the nav is done through the dash and any number of electrical connectors may need to be disconnected during the process. Most of BMW's connectors have locks and if one was not properly "locked" then it may prove to be intermittent. I would definitely take it back where you had it serviced an let them know that there is an issue that is probably related to the work done. Based upon the intermittent problem you are having it should be pretty easy for them to determine which connector block is suspect. Then its just a question of how much work it is to get to that connector and check it.

Chuck

meteck

May also be the ring under the steering wheel.