Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Installing trailer hitch on leased BMW . .

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by rmwegmann, Apr 1, 2010.

rmwegmann

Need to transport my bicycle. Thinking about installing hitch, but wasn't sure if that would violate terms of three year lease. Reviewed "fine print" in lease and it didn't seem to address this issue.

Anyone have any experience in this area and would like to share your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your insights.
    Rick

P.S. BMW128i is the model of the leased vehicle.

1996 328ti guest

I got to wonder, is a hitch available through BMW parts?

John in VA

I would think that if it is entirely removeable it wouldn't cause a problem. Did you ask anyone at the dealership?
    There are bicycle rack trailer hitch devices. I could have drilled down further for info but would need to know E-code and date of production to provide a part #. You can do that here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

bcweir

A 1-series is an E81

You would need either the month and year of production or the last 7 digits of the VIN number to get any more specific than that.

lodes17

Hitch

Curt Mfg. makes hitches and I would go for it. The mounting looks like you just bolt it on, nothing is really that easy. In the picture the hitch seems to go across both sides into some bumper framing. My 96 318 hitch bolted thur the spare tire well, something I have never liked. There is nothing else under mine to support from.

I would call them befor buying to make sure a notch in the bumper is not required.

http://www.trailerhitches.com/searc...MW&model=135i&style=Convertible&supplier=Curt Manufacturing

Have fun.......Mike

1996 328ti guest

The question was regarding the original poster's lease agreement.
    I wondered if BMW made a hitch for US spec cars.
    If they did I can't see it being a problem.

Anytime you start adding aftermarket, that can be an issue.
    A hitch doesn't sound like a bolt on mod that can be removed leaving no tell tale signs.

rmwegmann

Thanks to everyone for your posts.

Based on your input, I've done a bit of research and it appears there is BOTH a BMW hitch AND an aftermarket hitch.

The BMW hitch is not a standard hitch, in that it doesn't provide a 1 1/4" or 2" receiver opening. It only provides a non-standard "ball" connector. It appears they did this because it doesn't require the underpanel to be trimmed as stated below. However, this will not work for me because I need to insert the bicycle carrier into a 1 1/4" opening. (always something isn't it?).

The Aftermarket hitch (i.e. Curt Manufacturing) requires the underbody panel to be removed an trimmed (about 17 square inches of panel needs to be cut out.). In reading my lease, BMW states that any "damage" resulting from installation of aftermarket products is considered "excess wear and tear".

So based on this, looks like a "no-go". :( However, need to get my car in for service soon, so I will ask the finance/lease guy his opinion.

Again, thanks for your help. This forum is one of the best.

Rick