Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

In dash stereo/lcd

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by mdheller, Aug 24, 2009.

mdheller guest

I am looking for a high quality indash stereo that also has an LCD display. I would like to potentially replace my factory stereo.

I'm open to all potential advice on this as I know virtually nothing about this type of stuff. My only preference is that I can make it work with my Steering wheel controls and that the interior light somewhat matches the red glow of the traditional M3/bmw intereior.

I'd like to use the screen as a heads up display for a Flir Pathfind IR camera.

Any advice or recomendations? I would like it to look as clean/factory as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

az3579

Are you looking for a unit with GPS? I've seen some in-dash units that are very expensive, especially the ones with GPS capability. Those are usually a grand. I do not know if there are connections to hook up the display to show something else though, such as that IR camera.

I do not think there are units that allow you to use your steering wheel controls, but don't take my word for it. My reasoning is that the steering wheel controls are proprietary BMW, and that there must be some kind of control units that only works with the BMW factory stereo. I may be wrong though.
    You'll have an even harder time finding one that perfectly matches your Bimmer's interior lighting. I had a helluva time finding a head unit for my car that matched my interior, and even that is still a little off (red as opposed to the orange or amber glow), AND it has an ugly LCD display with white text.

Good luck with your search.

mdheller guest

GPS isn't so important, i'd rather just stick with my garmin. Although, I am of the school that would get it anyway if the price/feature options were compelling.

az3579

The reason I ask is because most of the in-dash units with large LCD displays are GPS units. In fact, I don't know if you'll find one anymore that has such a large display and isn't a GPS unit...

My brother bought a unit many years ago and still has it. It doesn't have GPS, but it's a Sony Xplod something-or-other. It definitely has connections for hooking up some other kind of video unit to it. I think he once played is PS2 on it...

mdheller guest

PS/2 in a car... sounds dangerous : P

Since yesterday I found this:

Pioneer Avic Z110 BT
    "Illumination Color Adjustment: The color of the button illumination can be set to virtually any color you desire. You can select from 8 preset colors, or choose a continuous scan of the 8 default colors. You can also create up to 3 custom colors and save them in memory. To create a custom color, you can select a value of between 00 and +31 of Red, Green, and Blue (except for R00, G00, B00). This gives you a choice of 32,767 colors."

Installation stuff:
    http://www.euro-spec.net/store/prod...d=214&osCsid=e098befee4d3de243e33b263f4f08fc5

http://www.euro-spec.net/store/prod...d=328&osCsid=e098befee4d3de243e33b263f4f08fc5

and I am considering using all of this equipment to acchieve my goal. suggestions are always welcome.

az3579

Nice! Looks like a promising way to do it.
    E46 specific, though, because of the climate control "move". Good luck on that!

espcane

Most Double DIN Headunits have Nav. integrated, I think Kenwood and Alpine are the main ones that sell units without Nav.

As for the steering wheel controls, Pacific Accessory Corporation (PAC) sells different models based upon your car and the headunit brand/type. They do have a fittment for the E46 3 Series.

srcstc guest

I have the AVIC-Z110BT. It's a great radio. I have the illumination set to amber and it's a pretty good match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gbzbvjuq4w

Rich