Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

image sizing

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Oct 9, 2019.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

I tried to add an image to my post today. Got error message the file too big. Any tips you can give me?
    Thanks

MGarrison

The largest file size the site is set to accept is 1mb (one megabyte). I can't speak for the club's side of whether larger files pose a problem in terms of storage, upload speeds, page load speed, related expense, server capacity, etc. - but, the advancement in cellphone picture capability and quality means I think these days many if not most phones have the default resolutions taking pics that are easily more than 1mb, maybe more like 2-3mb, or even bigger if higher picture resolutions are set.

There would be any variety of ways to reduce image file size. If you're on a laptop or pc, one thing you can do is open the picture in a graphics program (microsoft paint for one, for pc's) and resize it smaller - maybe something like 800x400 pixels/resolution, for instance. If you use file explorer, you can check the file listed wherever you saved it and see it's file size after you've downsized & saved it (change the list view to 'details', or, right-click on the picture and select 'properties'). Not sure if there's an easy way to downsize using a phone (I'm familiar with android, not apple), except cropping might do it. You could change the picture quality settings to lower resolution and retake the picture & see if that gets you a picture of small-enough file size. To preserve the original, I rename the file so I can start over from scratch with the original if need be.

There are probably any variety of websites offering simple graphics file editing including re-sizing; On macs I don't know what the default graphics program is - the problem with online sites is security and assurance of your edited file being returned to you containing malware.