Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iDrive

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by ddgrandy, Feb 18, 2016.

ddgrandy

I have a 2006 325i that needs a new iDrive
    Where could you buy it?
    Could I do replacement and a DIY clinic?

charlson89

This depends on what part of the drive you need? Do you need the CID (the screen), the CON (controller), the CCC (main computer and radio). All of these items when replaced do require programming so that makes DIY kinda hard unless you have the software and equipment. You could do a the actually physical replacement yourself and have a shop program it for you to save some money.

ddgrandy

Unbelievable they've had the car since Thursday it's now Tuesday and I've not heard a word.

charlson89

Have you called to ask whats up?

ddgrandy

I really like my dealership generally they're responsive and I honestly believe they are honest about fixing the issues but this last experience I'm not so sure. I took it in to have the oil pan gasket replaced, I also asked that the check control message be reset and well as check the issue with the iDrive coming on and going off. When I picked it up, the service advisor told me they could not replicate the issue with the iDrive. No problem I jump in the car and headed out, about 30 mins into the drive I stop for coffee and when I get back in the car the iDrive would not come on, it would take about 1.5 hours to come back on and the control check message is still on.

On top of that when I accelerate the motor is screaming and groaning I know my car and I know when I shift how the car will respond and sound. I take it back the next morning and go out with the head mechanic, he doesn't think the noise is audible and he drives it back he tells me that I might be looking at a "transmission" issue the clutch might be slipping... what the heck? I take it in for an oil pan gasket replacement and now you're telling me I might be having a problem with my transmission, how does replacing a "gasket" impacts the transmission???? does it???

I take the car back 5 days later the Service Advisor call, they can't find an issue with the transmission and the iDrive CCC will more than likely need to be replaced at the tune of $2300 I'm thinking "need"?? don't they do diagnostics that tells them exactly what is wrong with the unit? He tells me I shouldn't do anything right now until it completely dies. But my concern is that this is how I check my oil levels since there is no dipstick in the car, how am I going to drive this car and not worry about my oil levels?, gee

Ok so now my confidence is shot, I feel they hung on to my car for a week because I wasn't in the cue for repairs, they fixed all the cars in the que and got to mine when they could but now I'm really concerned did they do what they were supposed to?? have they really done the diagnostics ? or am I being blown off? Since I bought this car from this dealership, once my extended warranty expired I continued to have them work on the car... new water pump, new belts, new shocks, oil pan gasket, new battery (Jan 2016) etc., within the past year I've put well over 3k in the car. Like most of us I love my car, it's a solid piece of machinery that will take a beating and still keep ticking but I don't want to be ripped off and I definitely don't want to be told just anything to dismiss me.

What is the best way to deal with the iDrive? should I have someone else run diagnostics? should I buy the parts and find someone else to install?? is it even worth it?? the car is a 2006 with 161k miles what should I do???

charlson89

If you are concerned with the dealership's honesty take it to another dealer and see what they come up with. I will tell you the CCC on these vehicle do have issues and will do exactly what you are describing. I have replaced many of them and they are quite expensive. As for the oil level, I can't remember on your year if you can check your oil level in the instrument cluster using the board computer.