Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iDrive software & Sat/Nav update?

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by keithpew, Aug 2, 2010.

keithpew

Recently purchased an '07 530xi that I love to drive. Now that I'm somewhat comfortable using the iDrive system I'm wondering if there are any software updates. Same for the Sat/Nav DVD. Does BMW produce updated versions of iDrive and Sat/Nav DVDs for older model years?

Zeichen311

Navigation map data updates are published periodically (annually?) and can be purchased from a BMW center. The iDrive operating software is not routinely updated and is not necessarily the same (i.e., compatible) across models and model years. From time to time, updates are released to correct problems or add features but as a general principle, you can't have the software from newer models retrofitted to older systems.

Do yourself a favor: Do not think of embedded systems (e.g., iDrive) like home computers, where "upgrade early and often" is not unreasonable. You should consider updating embedded-system firmware if and only if you are having a specific problem and an update is available to correct that specific complaint. The reason is that upgrades are not always reversible and a so-called "upgrade" may introduce features or behavior you did not want.