Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

How bad is the 2006, 525xI?

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by porsche911targa, Sep 7, 2008.

porsche911targa guest

Hello,

I made this same post on forums.e60.net. I figure the more forums I post this, the more answers I would get, so I apologize if you have already come across this:

I just closed on a 2006, 525xI CPO with 34K miles. I also negotiated the BMW Service agreement. I had made my decision based on Consumer Reports ratings, however, after going back on Consumer Reports, I realized that I was looking at the RWD vesion instead of the AWD.

As it turns out, Consumer Reports lists the 2006 525xI as a "Much Worse than Average" car for reliabilty, and it is the only year and drivetrain that they actually listed on the "Used Cars to avoid" list.

As you can imagine, I am now really terrified. I have 11 years experience with the 3 series, but this would be my first 5 series and I don't want it to be a nightmare. I realize that I have bumper to bumper coverage for one more year and then CPO warranty for two more years, but I plan on keeping this car for 8 years and I dread having to take out a second mortgage for the last 5 years.

I have 1 day left to get out of the contract, so if you would please post your comments on your experience (good or bad) with this car, I would be eternally grateful. Please be as candid as possible; I don't mind if you think this car year model is horrible and I would look for a different year 5 series because it really felt comfortable and a much higher level than the 3 series.

Thank you so much,

Joe

Arash2002tii guest

Man have I been in that position before. If it was me I think it would be best to play it safe rather than gambling nad having to spend 8 years with a headache. Since you seem to like the 3 series why not go for an E90. If you ask me for a suggestion I say you get a 135i and keep the extra money in the bank, or you could treat yourself to some Dinan goodies. But you really seem to like that car and if your soul is with it I say buy it, because when its running good it'll make you happy. And when you really think of it all that really matters in a car is if it can put a smile on your face. If it doesn't make all that much difference to you, and you still want a 5 series, try out a different model and see how that compares. Don't see what the difference would be between other 5 series since the one you're looking at is also RWD. It might be better to get out of the contract and look at your options and research, and if in the end you decide that the 525xi is really want you want, go for it. It's not like they're going to ban you from buying it again. I hope you choose what makes your happy, good luck!