Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Help Clean my Wheels

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by bmw3driver, Aug 29, 2008.

mrl325i

My $.02

I tried Wheel Wax a while back and thought it had no effect whatsoever.

I use Zaino on my cars, and Zaino on the wheels seems to work the best. Most of the brake dust rinses off and the rest is taken care of by a soft wheel brush (a Meguiars one from the auto parts store). In between I would use a Cali duster (a knockoff, actually) on my M68s.

On my E46, though, the biggest change came when I switched to PBR pads that came in the E46 Brake Pack from Turner. Not much dust; same brake feel and stopping power.

My E30 has Ronal LS wheels (think basketweaves). That car has BMW pads so the wheels do dust up. When I clean them I use, in addition to the wheel brush, a baby bottle brush (dollar store) to get in between the spokes. It would drive me nuts is this was a daily driver, though.

venona7

Cleaning wheels

I've had excellent results just using Griot's Speed Shine and a micro fiber cloth at least once a week. The brake dust comes off easily and the wheels look great! I have a 2006 330i Sport and these wheels don't have a lot of nooks and crannies to get into.

jgilbert

I weas over at the Mercedes club site and a fellow over there was having a problem with really stubborn brake dust, had not cleaned his wheel in a couple of months. one person suggested that he use Lestoil on the wheel. Has anybody here used it to clean their wheels? Is there a down side to this?

phanley

I would stress the use of microfiber when applying and removing product from the wheels. It may seem obvious, but it wasn't to me (unfortunately). I used cotton towels last year, and after re-mounting my summer wheels, noticed the clear coat is pretty scratched-up.
    Although it's only noticeable when the wheels are at eye level, it could have been easily avoided. Lesson learned!

BlueAngel M3 guest

I don't know which wheel wax you guys are talkiing about, but I use Zymol's wheel wax (the spray or titanium wax). I tried every wheel cleaner you can think about. They have done more damage in the long run than good. With my experience and research wheel cleaners suck and its a RIP OFF!! Our OEM wheels are painted almost the same way the body of the car is so treat it like that! I had to purchase new OE wheels from BMW. When I first got my new OE wheels I used Zymol's wheel wax! To wash the wheels I use Zymol's autowash. The same autowash soap I use on the body, but use seperate bucket, spomge, microfiber towels, etc. My wheels today still look like the day I pulled them out of the box from BMW! BRAND NEW!! Some of u might not agree with me, but my wheels are still looking BRAND NEW and i'm happy! =)

Nik

rspeser

Cleaning wheels

I have been using a microfiber towel to clean my wheels. I do not use any wheel cleaner but instead use the microfiber towel once a week to keep the wheels clean. Works great and only takes a minute.
    2006 Z4 Alpine White

Ranesy guest

Maybe some of these suggestions have already been listed, but here is what has worked for me-
    Wheel Cleaner : P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner (available online through lots of places for e.g. Amazon, Autogeek.net etc..). This cleaner is Ph balanced, so will be safe for your wheel finish. Just spray it on & let it dwell..follow up with a bit of agitation using appropriate brush or wash mit. Rinse off and you are done.
    Wheel Protection: FK1000p High temp sealant (Finish Kare USA...also available online). A good sized tin of this costs very little and works extremely well for both clear coated wheels and paint.
    I applied 2 coats of the FK1000p on my E46 M3 Competition wheels a few weeks ago and now the brake dust just rinses off. There are plenty other sealant choices - Zaino, Klasse, Duragloss 105 or 111 etc.

M3Driver guest

Griott's Wheel Cleaner using the EZ Detail Brush (Autogeek.net) followed up by Griott's Speed Shine in between washings (unless it rains then it's back to the Griott's Wheel Cleaner).

DHatcher

I have used Wheel Wax for years and tried Zymol car waxs on my wheels as well. I take the wheels off twice each year and put a good coat of wax inside and outside. I never have to use anything but the mildest of car soaps, the same as I use on the car, to clean the brake dust and road tar. Yes, with a micro cloth and soap, the tar comes off. I like to reach in and clean the inside of the rims each wash.

'04 Z4 and '09 535i

venona7

Has anyone here used Griot's Undercarriage Spray on their wheel wells? If so, are there any extraordinary precautions to be taken to protect the wheels from this stuff? If it does what Rich claims it will do..it's gotta be strong and perhaps a little corrosive. Just wondering.

M3Driver guest

I've seen it but never used it. I typically just use some car wash soap and a brush in my wheel wheels and that's it. I'd doubt it would be a problem. However they are always quick to answer product emails if you have a question.

venona7

Undercarriage spray

I tried the stuff and it works really good. Could have probably gotten by without detailing the wheel wells but I'm picky:)

fricker66 guest

Undercarriage Spray

I've used several bottles of that stuff. I've never had any issues with the overspray on the tires. Can't say it ever reached the wheels themselves though. It would appear to be more oil based than any corrosive nature. Another solid product is Chemical Guys Bare Bones. I've started on my first gallon of that stuff this spring. Don't wash a car without following up with the wheel well detail!

NJHaupt guest

I just cleaned my e36's wheels today. I had just gotten new tires installed, so they were a real mess. But all that grime and brake dust came right off with some Windex, paper towels, and elbow grease. (Not nearly as much elbow grease as I thought, either) :D

1999328i guest

Given the numerous recommendations on waxing, consider using a car wash-n-wax solution. Getting them clean the first time, I heard the Simple Green does well. I use a soft bristle drinking glass brush that I picked up at a grocery store to get in the tight areas.

bluewagon

cleaning wheels

I also like Simple Green. I have found a toilet bowl brush works for my wheels.
    Make sure you get a coat of wax on both the inside and the outside of the wheels. to make your work easier, wipe the dust off with a DRY cloth as often as you can. Also use low dust pads . I like Pagid Reds From BAV auto. My wheels are cleaned every Sunday am Tire pressure checked and adjusted at this time also.
    Bluewagon 03 325it

DHENRY

P 21 S works like a charm.
    The liquid formulation does very well on a regular basis, but they make a gel that is used for extremely heavy buildup.
    Don

phanley

I recently installed a new (to me) set of wheels: BBS RC's. They're much more time-consuming to clean and wax than my style 30's. However, I did take the time to apply Klasse AIO and SG before I mounted them. I only have the time to clean them every 10 days or so, but the brake dust just wipes off with car wash soap. I still use Wheel Wax as a precaution, but on a less-frequent basis (2-3 weeks/5-700 miles). I'd highly recommend this combination. With a couple of Car Talk podcasts on hand, the application of the Klasse and the Wheel Wax goes by quickly!
    [IMG]

bmw330e90 guest

P21s cleaner was my favorite before I tried Mothers FX Wheel Cleaner. So far this is the best wheel cleaner I have ever tried. I'll also recommend to apply Zaino for best results.

GSMetal

I just cleaned the wheels on my new (to me) 01 E39. The guy who had the car before me took good care of the car but I don't think he every really scrubbed the wheels so I had a pretty heavy amount of brake dust on the front wheels.

I went to Advanced Auto and bought some Eagle 1 Aluminum Wheel Cleaner out of desperation to get the wheels clean. I sprayed it on and let the foaming action work for a bit then used a bottle brush to work the caked on brake dust loose. I would say I got off about 80% of the really heavy stuff. The rest will have to work on as we wash the car through the summer.

I did buy a jar of Wheel Wax at the dealership today. I used a lot of wheel cleaners / wax in my lifetime (I'm a detailing junkie) but this stuff is really remarkable and it was worth the $15.00. You use very little of if so a jar will go a long way. If you have never used it, it looks like vanilla pudding and has no grit to it.