Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

HELP! 2000 - 528i station wagon - computer "died"

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by forever21, Dec 11, 2009.

forever21 guest

HELP! 528i station wagon 2000... The computer died. Part was quoted at $2,500 + labor!

Since my son is a GEEK and going to college (computer major)... I gave him the project. He found "somewhere" to buy a computer for the car... but "they" sent the wrong one. He sent it back and "they" say "they" did not get it back! Still in that mess... "they" say "they" didn't get it. My son sent it back using the US Post Office insured ... so will have to deal with it that way, but my son is in the middle of finals - so I wait.

My son found a place around Los Angeles, CA - that "programs these computers specific to the car".
    Has anyone heard of this?

OR... if I found a "wreck" could I try to get the computer pulled from it and have it rewritten? OR does someone have an idea?

Need some help. Thank you. PJ
    (San Francisco Bay Area)

bmwfxr

Can you define "computer"? There are appx. 50ish little "computers" in your car and am unclear which one you are referring to. Is this a navigation computer, engine management, etc. Possibly a part # off of the unit in question.