Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

head lights

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by 450ac, Sep 28, 2011.

450ac guest

I have a 2004 330i ZHP that replaced a 01 330i that was totaled in july, the high beam head lights on the 04 are not as good as the 01 and was wondering if the passing lights could be made to come on with the high beams? I think that is what the 01 did

thanks

prowlerflyer

Yep, can be done, just requires re-coding of the computer through your OBD port. Some shops can do it and some people who have the software and know the coding can do it. The dealer could do it, but I don't know any that would since its a deviation from stock.

I had it done to my '04 330i ZHP. So on high beams I have Xenon high (shutter fully open), projectors on and also can turn the fogs on. Quite a difference!

Unfortunately the reason your lights are dim on your '04 are burnt ZKW Xenon bowls. The post facelift sedans (& coupes I believe) ZKW Xenons had plastic reflector bowls that burn off the reflective coating after a amount of time. Only fix is replacement or conversion to E90, or M3, or aftermarket bowls, which requires modification of the housings. If you remove the Xenon bulb cover on the back of the housing you should be able to look at the top of the bowl and see orange dis-colorization (may require removal of the headlight unit & a real PITA if you have headlight squirters).