Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Have you seen this '99 with less than 3K miles?

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by tjrinaldi, Apr 13, 2011.

tjrinaldi

granthr

I would guess he won't sell it at that price, even though it is like new. I would say high $20s or $30k, but not much more. You can now get e36 M3s for $5k, trashed, but still $5k. Great looking car though, hope it goes to a good home.

drsides

Obviously, a car's worth is defined simply by whether someone will pay it or not.

There are probably no other e36 m3's of that low mileage anywhere in the country, so you're really talking about a rare commodity.

That said:
    - There have been e36 m3 Lightweights (extremely rare) posted on ebay with only slightly more miles for less money.
    -There are two e36 m3's on autotrader with less than 30K miles. This one is only $17K.
    -Here is one for $21K.

Bear in mind that that car was about $40K brand new. Has it lost only $5K in value in 15 years? I doubt it.

That car is worth maybe $20K-$25K I think...

dan
    • Staff

steven s

I would say that is abuse.

I would have to guess the suspension is shot just sitting there.
    An engine that is hardly started, how good could that be?
    I guess it doesn't really matter since it will not be driven.

I guess the only person who would buy this is a collector who will keep it a garage queen.
    And a collector where money is no object.

Zeichen311

My exact thought, on both mechanical and philosophical grounds. :(

Beautiful (love that E36 M upholstery) but you're right, it's probably destined to remain a museum piece. Just for fun, I looked up the NADA & Edmunds valuations--anyone want to guess? Anyone? Bueller? (Answer below.)

Sorry to wander off-topic a bit but I got a chuckle out of this, from Edmunds' description of the 1999 M3:
    :D

(1999 M3 Coupe, loaded; Edmunds: $8,650. NADA: $14,050. <-- Highlight w/mouse to view. Someone doesn't believe low mileage is worth much....)

Deutsch Marques

Unless the car was properly prepped for long-term storage, I wouldn't touch it. Cars are meant to be driven, not put on your coffee table.
    • Staff

steven s

He will get his price if he's willing to wait.
    Undoubtedly there are still people with more money than they know what to do.

SBrasesco

as an aside I am in NY and if you would like I will go look the car over....HOWEVER
    I tend to agree with the others...when a car like this or any other for that matter sits...even in a climate controlled room...rubber rots, drys, cracks...seals wither away from lack of use...be prepared to change RTABS, hoses, etc.....
    sometimes these "time capsule" cars are more trouble than you may think...and at the end of the day from a $$$ point of view you own a 13 year old car which has depreciated as such regardless of miles...
    someone mentioned the LTW M3...know that is a different kettle of fish due to lack of #s but even that is a question of finding the right arse for the right seat....
    $35k buys me alot of other cars...

Deutsch Marques

I wish I could find and convince those people that I can help them "manage" their money.

I bought my 02 M3 used, and it was on the used car lots for over a year. A couple weeks after I bought it and was driving it, it was leaking oil from the rear main seal, the oil pan gasket, the valve cover, the VANOS lines were cracked, and the belts were deteriorating. And that was only after a year of non/light use! :eek:

I'm glad I opted for the aftermarket warranty that paid for the $2500+ in service!