Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Hard Excelaration

Discussion in 'E63 M6 coupe (2006-present), E64 M6 convertible (2' started by bimblaze, Jul 9, 2017.

bimblaze

Yesterday I was out driving my 2007 M6 it was in Automatic. I was entering the highway from entrance ramp and I dove into the peddle "hard Exceleration " . I heard a bang like some hit hard under the car . When I got home I looked all around the car and under the car nothing. Anyone have any thoughts ?

MGarrison

Was anything different after you heard the noise? Was the engine power the same, you kept accelerating, or slowed down? Was the engine running & idling smoothly afterwards? Did it sound the same?

bimblaze

I didn't feel or notice anything different in the way the car drove. It's was just weird because I did not hit anything in the road.

MGarrison

I think I've seen posts of a bearing problem with those 10-cyl. engines, or something like that, but maybe I'm getting that mixed-up with the E92 M3 motors. If you didn't notice any difference in the engine's running/power/idling, perhaps location is relevant - perhaps hard to say with a brief one time occurrence, but was the sound noticeably from a particular part of the car? I know the engine bay's stuffed, but I'd pop the hood and use a flashlight to see as much as you can towards the underside - modern BMW engine bays are pretty well faired-in with plastic underbody panels and cladding, I think for aerodynamic purposes. If something went underhood, maybe there would be visual evidence. A loud bang from the engine area would have different implications than from the back half of the car, for instance. Mileage?

bimblaze

I did check the engine area and found nothing but the bang came from underneath the car
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

Could of been a hard downshift from the smg transmission. These can sometimes bang under hard acceleration, if your not hearing it now I would not worry about it.