Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Greetings from Downunder!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lcjhnsn, Sep 18, 2009.

lcjhnsn

Fellow Bimmerphiles, I just finished my first solid week of a 3 week work assignment in Adelaide Australia!

Although I don't have the privelege of piloting a BMW while I'm here (I have a funky 4 door Toyota Corolla Hatchback rental car), I have developed some skill in driving on the wrong side of the road!!

It's interesting to see some of the BMW and non-BMW cars they have here vs. what we get in the US. Holden looks like htey produce some serious modern muscle cars. Both Ford and Holden sell vehicles reminiscent of the old Chevy El Camino that are very popular. I've seen several e36 316Ti's and a few e46 Ti's. And, I've seen a 1 series 4 door hatchback that looked pretty cool. I've seen only one or 2 e36 M3's, no e46 M3's and only one e92 M3. As far a Z's go I've passed a total of 5 Z3's (none were M's) and only one Z4.
    Cheers from Oz, off to explore over the weekend...

az3579

Hope you're having a good time. Enjoy it while you can!

It's called a 'ute' and is veeeeery popular over there!

lcjhnsn

Indeed it is! There is basically no such beast as a conventional US Pick-up truck over here. There are commercial flat-bed trucks built on what we recognize as Pick-up chassis and then there are the Ute's

I've found a local BMW Club who are planning a drive next weekend. I've sent an email to their Chapter President, angling for a co-pilot seat. I'm also planning a couple hour trip up through the Bourassa Valley wine country to the Australian National Auto Museum on my final weekend in-country.

az3579

Glad you're having fun. We (my then-co-pilot and I) just drove that Fun Rally route again and man we had a blast! It's too bad a headache plagued almost my entire day, but it went away for the really good bits. :D

lcjhnsn

Today is the last day in Oz, final presentation of my job here this afternoon.

The BMW Club outing didn't pan out, but I visited the National Auto Museum then Sunday was a HUGE vintage car run. There were 1, 800 cars from 1956 through 1977. There were only a few BMWs, but it was fun watching the parade anyway.

Check it out here...

http://www.baytobirdwood.com.au/photos.html

Tomorrow is the long flight home. You just gotta love the International Dateline. I leave Adelaide at 10:00 am and arrive in Hartford at 10:30 pm, but somehow, 30 hours elapse in between!

I've got my fingers crossed for improvement in the weather forcast for Bavarian Auto Show-n-Shine on Sunday