Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Gettin a new 1998 M3

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by Evan Buko, May 22, 2008.

Evan Buko guest

Hello,
    I found myself a 98 M3 and am most likely going to end up getting it. My question to you all is would you start improving this car by performance or would you just go right into looks and body work. I have different opinions from people that I'm around that have done things to there vehicles but then again they dont have a BMW let alone an M3. I myself was leaning more toward the performance side with maybe getting a turbo and exhaust to start out. Its hard for me to go with an opinion from anyone around where I'm from because no one knows anything about BMW so thats why I'm coming to you.
    If you could please get back to me that would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks Evan!

az3579

Have any plans for the car? Daily driver? Track usage?

Mods depend on what you plan with the car.

Autohaus guest

What is the mileage and will maintenance records be available? If you plan on having this car long term, than make sure it has had a recent tune-up/coolant parts/all fluid changes up to date. Also, getting clear lenses all around is an inexpensive way of giving it a more aggressive look. I have always though the factory spoiler(s) on the E36 M3 is just plane beauty. I wouldn't do anything to it. You can lower it to improve handling, though. Super/turbocharging is a good idea to increase performance.

Evan Buko guest

I dont really have anything particularly in mind. I know a few people that have cars that are in car clubs and do some racing here and there. I may get into that but not quite sure; I will need to gather more information on that

Evan Buko guest

I dont really have anything in mind do actually do. Im just a daily driver. It has just over 65K on it and I will ask the person I'm buying it off of to get me some records. As of now he has changed all of the fluids and has had it detailed and whatnot. Track use isnt out of the question but I dont have any plans for it as of right now.

Would you prefer a turbocharger or supercharger and what kind would you go with

Autohaus guest

vf-engineering.com, activeautowerke.com and Dinan are good choices. I don't have any experience with Turbo/superchargers or Dinan, but for my cars I would just get Dinan applications just to add an extra 10-20hp. Anybody that tells you that adding a cone filter will add 20hp is blowing smoke..... To get the most out of an engine, you would need a turbo/supercharger. Good luck.

Evan Buko guest

Thanks man. I'll definitely look into that and check out those websites. I'll be back on and let you know how it goes
    Thanks again, Evan

catmundu

hi evan, as already mentioned, it really depends on what u plan on using the car for and what u want out of it. personal preference, really and the mod options are aplenty! :D suspension upgrades can definitely help with handling. also, there are many after market exhausts to choose from and most are significantly lighter than stock (weight savings). i also have no experience with turbo/superchargers, but the few folks i know that have gone the s/c route have gone with dinan and are happy. cosmetically, the first "mod" i did was the clear corners, tails, and side markers. just depends on what u like and what u wanna do with the car. i would enjoy the car as is for a bit and see what strikes u- once u catch the mod bug, it's hard to stop. :D

az3579

I always found angel eye halos to be really nice looking on M3's... *hint hint* ;)