Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Gear Shift Assembly loose

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by wolke9, May 12, 2008.

wolke9 guest

A question for all of you '02 owners out there. Is your manual gearshift linkage "loose"? I lifted up the rubber gearshift boot and can see straight down to the ground. . . when I move/shift the gearshift, the entire assembly moves like it's missing a bracket or something. It seems as if the only support/bracing comes from the rubber gearshift boot!! I feel like the entire assembly could drop out of the shifter housing. . .what am I missing here. .??

Is there supposed to be something holding/bracing the gearshift and linkage that goes into the gearbox to the tunnel or undercarriage of the car?

I can't imagine that they are supposed to be this loose. . .:confused:

toa5tmaster guest

it is the shifter bushings, you can get a set at the dealer and they r not that hard to install, just hard to get too unless u have access to a lift. If you are going to do that though, I suuggest you install a short shift kit (they usually come with busings as well) to improve the stiffness and speed of your shifter. Just my 2 cents.

Bimmerdan

Unfortunately, that's a common problem on the '02s. The shifter plate is held in position by two rubber bushings that connect to the top rear of the transmission housing itself. Over the years the rubber disintegrates and the plate becomes very loose. If you contact 2002HAUS or BMP or BavAuto (actually, almost any of the parts suppliers), any of them can supply you with a list of the parts you need to completely rebuild the assembly. I just did it a couple years ago and it made a HUGE difference. It also sounds like you're missing the rubber donut that fits under the shift boot...that helps a lot also.

As toa5tmaster said, it's really not that difficult. I did mine with the car up on jack stands and had no problem at all.