Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

freezer plugs

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by doctertd, Sep 25, 2009.

doctertd guest

replaceing freezer plugs- must the transmission come out? on 1969 - 2002

John in VA

The freeze plugs are in the engine block, so as long as you can access them you shouldn't need to remove the tranny, but I've never had to change or replace them myself.

BMWCCA1

Some BMW engines have a freeze plug at the back of the block. The only way to reach these is by removing the transmission/bell-housing. I'm too old to remember is that's the case with the 2002 but I'm sure someone here will remember or I'll check one of the parts cars or spare blocks when I get the chance. There might even be a photo in the factory repair manual that would show that area.

Normally you only replace freeze plugs if they're leaking or if a stripped block is being dipped/bored, etc. If you're getting a water leak out of the clutch area behind the engine block, you may have a corroded freeze plug. So tell us, what are you trying to fix? Or is this just preventative maintenance? Using the correct anti-freeze makes most freeze plugs last an eternity.

doctertd guest

freezer plug

Yes a good flow from above the tranny housing and I had the car sitting for a few years and my mechanic who has it running tells me there is a leaking plug up there! Was also wondering if there is a BMW mechanic in the Monticello NY area for a second opinion because he told me it will probably run about $500 just to drop the tranny and replace.
    Thank for the info!

BMWCCA1

Above the transmission seems to indicate a problem with the head or plumbing back there, not the block. If it was the freeze plug at the back of the block you'd never see it above the transmission but you'd see it leaking out below at the clutch-inspection opening.