Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Flashing lights

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Duane703, Oct 31, 2010.

Duane703

I am not sure if I am in the right place. I am sure , however that someone will let me know. Any way, here goes:
    Got a 2000 E46 Touring/sport. A couple of years ago, the head lights would flash (by themselves) for no apparent reason. An independant shop disabled the auto on(day/night sensor) function, which actually stopped the problem. You just had to turn the lights on and off manually now(no prob.) A couple of years later, "the gremlins have returned". It started with the driver side head light going on and off ,now they are both flashing(ocasionally) again.(So says the wife. Her car.) Any ideas ? :confused::confused:

Clinesdale guest

Get a new wife... That's what most of the people around here do when something isn't working!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Is this happening with the car on or off?

tdubyu

Intermittently Hi/DRL going out

I'm experiencing the same problem on my E39/2000 Hi-Beam/DRLs. I correct the problem temporaryly by disconnecting the bulb harness and reconnecting it with the light and ignition switches in the on position and they would re-energize themselves. Yes, It works, but does not permenantly fix the problem and I've found no one who has the answer other than wanting to changing parts.

I was initially told to change bulbs, as they may have high resistance, but only to find that as long as I don't flash the lights it never happens. Some "experts" says the culprit maybe the LKM but is not sure. So the questionis, has anyone figured what the problem is?

Thanks for your input