Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

first brake job

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by andyp, Jul 1, 2008.

andyp guest

pros and cons on using drilled and slotted rotors,

this is the first brake job on my 03 525i, is it worth the expense to use drilled and slotted rotors for a street car? Andy

az3579

Are you going to be doing any performance driving? If not, then I suggest you get standard plain vented rotors.

It is my understanding that drilled rotors have a tendency to crack, which is not covered by the brake manufacturer's warranty. They look really cool though and have seen multiple cars come with them from the factory, so I don't think they crack very often. But either way, I'd still get a slotted rotor just in case as I think those last longer than drilled rotors.

Here's a quote from Tire Rack on one of the products it sells:

andyp guest

thanks for the info, Andy

Bimmerdan

One other thing to keep in mind is that slotted and cross-drilled rotors will wear your pads down a little quicker than plain rotors. I have slotted Brembos on my white M3 and cross-drilled ones on my black M3. Like az3579 said, they look really cool but unless you plan to seriously track your car, you are probably better off with plain, blank rotors. They will last longer, they will make your pads last longer and they will stop you just as well.

andyp guest

Thank you Bimmerdan and az3579 for your input, I am going with plane rotors for now, Thanks again. Andy