Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Finally my BMW convertible!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by macx230, Jul 1, 2021.

macx230

Hi.

I'm retired, 74 yrs old, recently moved to Kansas City from SE MO after I retired and refurbished my house and got it sold. Originally from Central MN.

Had driven motorcycles all my life and was a lifelong hot rodder and never owned a motor vehicle
    I didn't modify somehow :) Never owned a convertible but am no longer comfortable riding a bike
    with all the crazies out there plus my girlfriend doesn't care for it, so decided it was finally time for
    a convertible - also so we can travel and really see everything like in the mountains which we both enjoy. I had two BMW motorcycles over the last 8 years and really enjoyed the last one, a 1200 RT
    sport cruiser and was impressed with it's engineering. Also my girlfriend's son is a BMW enthusiast and has one I'm going to help replace the head on this summer. Soooo, besides loving the look
    of BMW's in general and after seeing a really sweet little 128 convertible a couple years ago, set my
    sights on a small BMW convertible. Finally found a low miles 2017 230i X - being from MN an all wheel vehicle is a big priority for me - that is pretty well loaded. Love the car.

Just went thru the "bent rims" problem from some bad potholes at freeway speed, with the stiff run flats a big contributor. Finally found a set of 17" refurbished oem wheels online so I could go with a higher aspect ratio tire for a better, quieter ride. (my 18"x7.5" are now for sale, with a link to a local place that straightens bent rims and fixes cosmetic damages.)

Just got them on today with highly rated Michelin all season tires I've had excellent luck with
    before. Just like a new car! No more bent rim shake, and the 50 series tires ride SO much better
    than those low profile run flats and transmit virtually no road noise into the cabin.

After agonizing about the spare tire situation and the lack of trunk room, I ended up with a small
    12v air compressor, a good tire plug kit, a scissors jack, and the best brand of "fix a flat" I found
    doing some online test research. So "to the road!" this weekend to visit friends in NW Arkansas
    for the 4th.

I'm surprised at the response of this little 4 banger but of course that's from the dual turbo setup.
    It's fun to drive at any speed but still gets good mpg. Not like my old 60's big block modified muscle cars!! And at my age it's plenty quick enuf.

OK, I do tend to ramble, so enuf for now.

Have a great weekend!