Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Engine RPM's to high during shifting

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by motorpool, Jun 13, 2008.

motorpool guest

I recently changed the engine in my 1995 BMW 318I. The engine that I bought has 78 thousand miles on it. When I changed out the motor, I also put in a new clutch pressure plate and throughout bearing. To make sure the engine is running right, I had an engine diagnostic test ran. I had to replace the map sensor and the oxygen sensor. After starting the engine and putting it into first gear the RPM's are why too high between first and second gear during shifting. From the time that I shift from first to second the engine is tacing at 4000 and the car isn't even go 10 miles per hour. It has the same problem from second to third and so forth. In 5th gear I'm driving 70 mph and the car's RPM's are 3500. Do you know what the problem could be?

az3579

Is the engine actually revving that or is that just what the tachometer is showing? I've heard of tachometers not showing the correct revs after an engine swap...

motorpool guest

I need to know, how do I fix this problem? What do I need to do to get the Tac a the right reading? Please get back with me. Thank you Rory

az3579

Well I don't know the answer but I can definitely research a bit for you. You still haven't answered the question though; is it actually revving high or is it just the tach showing a higher RPM than it actually is?

motorpool guest

The engine starts and idles just fine. It's when you are shifting the car. When I start out in 1ST gear the cars tac is a 4000 and the car is only going 10 mph. From 1ST to 2ND the car is only going 20 mph an the tac is still at 4000 and it does the same throught the rest of the gears. When I'm in 5TH gear at 70 mph the cars tac is at 3500. To me, this is to high on the tac. Its light thier is something holding the car back. Could it be the car doesn't have enough power. If you would like, you can give me a call at the following number. (254)319-8774. Please get back with me. Thank you, Rory