Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Electric pump warning

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by pdudley, Mar 1, 2017.

pdudley

If the electric water pump is on its way out, will this show up as a fault or shadow fault in Bavarian Technic's Engine folder? Looking for a way to proactively monitor the pump as opposed to waiting for the SES light to go on yellow then red immediately - i.e. basically no warning.

charlson89

The precursor fault code would be coolant pump speed deviation. There will be no warning lights just the fault code set. This normal means the pump is on the way out and should be replaced soon to avoid the overheat issue. Another is a really loud electric fan, basically running on high all the time when you start the car.

pdudley

thanks, so I will see a fault before (most likely) it gets to the point where the warning light goes on and you basically have to stop driving right then, correct? the fault will be in the engine section / folder when usign the Bavarian Technic, correct?

thanks

charlson89

Correct the fault will occur before the overheating occurs. If the overheating lights come on yes stop driving the vehicle right away. If you don't engine damage will happen. I am unfamiliar with the Bavarian technic scanner so I can't say where to find it in there. I do know that the DME will be the one reporting the fault code I mentioned before.

pdudley

thanks for the help.

pdudley

here is what the BT screen looks like for the Engine area.[IMG]

Attached Files:

• bt.png
      bt.png
      File size:
      81.6 KB
      Views:

charlson89

not bad make sure you check shadow faults those are important as well for telling what may be coming down the pipe line.

pdudley

thanks, yes I always check both.

PD

Colandreo

Charlson89....

I have a 2012 X5 E70 that my electric water pump just died on. We are trying to replace it ourselves. We have the capability, just not the video on what needs to be done. Any suggestions?

MGarrison

charlson89

The video Mgarrison posted is for a N52 but is very similar but a lot less space. What you need to do is remove the electric cooling fan from the vehicle. There is a silver bar across the front engine area with 4 bolts holding it in place. There is 3 lines attached to this brace. Remove these lines they just pop out of the holders. The rest is done under the vehicle. Take off the front underbody panel all the Philips screws are quarter turns. Then remove the stiffening plate. Next have a catch pan for the coolant and remove the lower radiator hose from the thermostat. This hose is a quick connector just pull up on the metal clip until it is stuck up. Then wiggle the hose up and down while pulling back on it. This hose is right on there so it will take a bit to get it off. Next un plug the smaller coolant quick connector hose on the thermostat the same way you did the lower radiator hose. Next there is a small hose on the side of the thermostat that has worm clamp. Remove this hose. There is a large hose on the back of the thermostat with another worm clamp remove this hose as well. Unplug the small electrical connector to the thermostat. Too do this just pry very slightly on the lock tab and pull the wiring out. Next there are two 10mm bolts that hold the thermostat to the water pump. Move the thermostat towards the radiator and let it rest there out of the way. Next remove the hose that connected the back of the thermostat to the water pump with another worm clamp and remove the hose. Next loose the worm clamp to the hose going to the water pump on the side above the electrical connector. Remove the electrical connector to the water pump by pressing the tab on the side to release the connector. Next remove the 3 E12 bolts for the water pump two on the bottom and one on top farthest forward. Once the pump is loose remove it from the hose on the side of the pump and move it towards the radiator then pick it up and out of the vehicle through the top side of the engine bay. To install just reverse the removal. Once all back together fill the coolant tank to max. Next you will need to bleed the system to do so turn the ignition on in the vehicle but don't start it. Turn the heat to max 84 deg and blower on lowest setting and press the accelerator pedal for 10 secs. You should hear the pump turn on and watch and fill the coolant tank as needed. This bleed procedure will run for 12 mins, make sure to have lights, radio turn off so not to drain the battery. Hope this helps.