Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E65 Tension Strut Replacement

Discussion in 'E65/E66 (2002-2008)' started by RaketeBlaue, Feb 10, 2009.

RaketeBlaue guest

2004 E65 Sport Package, 46,000 miles

After a recent visit to the stealership for routine maintenance, my SA informed my the tension strut bushings (front suspension) on my 745i needed to be replaced (bushings not serviceable, must buy whole strut). The reported indication of worn tension strut bushings was steering wheel shimmy and popping noise when turning, (reported to dealer a year earlier under warranty and their solution was to align the front end at my cost). I would say that they are trying to find extras except that I had the same struts replaced on my 2004 E60 545i Sports Package at approximately 48,000 miles. Is this wear normal for tensions struts on vehicles with Sport Package? I would call this wear premature due to insufficent design or defective materials. Interestingly enough, I found that the p/n for these struts are used on some MINIs, shocking considering the E65 is considerably heavier.

After refusing to honor my initial claim under warranty I am now looking at installing the tension struts myself. I have the BMW TIS and the process appears to be straightforward. Being that it appears to be easy I always look for the gotcha on "simple" repairs. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for removal and insallation of tension struts? The TIS recommends that the front end alignment be checked after installation but the stealership says not necessary. Should I have the stealership align?

Funny, I received a coupon in the mail for discount alignment the day I picked my car up from the stealership. I guess they are hoping that once they have you in for an alignment, they'll try to replace as many struts as they can at $880 a car! Any help is appreciated!

Will

az3579

You should definitely take it for an alignment after you do that, but I personally would avoid the stealership.