Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 Door Chiming even w/o key in ignition...

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by SDavid22, Aug 16, 2010.

SDavid22 guest

Hello,

I am hoping someone out there can help me with my problem. The door chime will not shut off, even with the key out of the ignition in my '00 323. It only stops when you shut the door. The lights are not on, I've checked all the fuses. Whatever it is also seems to slowly drain the battery, as I had to replace a dead one. Im guessing that the car thinks something is staying on and causing the chime to go off and a slow drain on the battery. In the mean time, I've been disconnecting the battery every night to stop the chime/battery drain. Any help would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

granthr

It is possible that the sensor that senses the key in the ignition is stuck. Try spraying a dry lubricant into the key hole. I am a big fan of Remoil for such things. It is Teflon and works really well. It is made by Remington for guns. Spray the lubricant (alternatively you can use WD40) in the key hole and then work it with the key a few times and see if that works.

Good luck.

SDavid22 guest

Thank you for the reply! I am going to give it a shot and I will keep you posted.