Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e39 528it seat belt stuck

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by pdg17838, Nov 18, 2008.

pdg17838

The rear seat center seat belt in my 2000 528it wagon is stuck. It will not pull out at all and stays in the retracted position up next to the seat back. I think that the inertia spring that keeps the belt from moving when there is a sudden stop is broken. The new seat belt is not that expensive but I am having trouble figuring out how to get it out. Any clues or pointers on how to get at the seat belt mechanism for a wagon are appreciated. The rear of the seat is accessible because it is a touring/wagon model with a fold down rear seat.

Thanks in advance for inputs.

David

I am trying to remember how you access the seatbelt mechanism. Memory says you pull the seat bottom, then flip down the seat back and start removing the plastic panel in the rear compartment on the side. There are some blind torx T50 fasteners. When I had mine out I just kept finding fasteners. Remember what went where. You want to put this back correctly to eliminate any rattles or squeaks. I had mine out to install a cable which allowed me to use an iPod through the factory radio in my 99 E39 wagon, quite a cool device from NEU. It took an entire afternoon to remove and reinstall the interior components. Patience will be required.