Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E36 Door Panel Insert leather is coming off

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by Ed Thum, Mar 30, 2008.

Ed Thum guest

The leather is coming off my the door panels inserts on my E36. I've been given a quote of $350 to replace both. Any suggestions?

bkothe guest

I am having the same problem. I was quoted around $100 for a new panel (e36 coupe) from Circle BMW, http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/parts.htm. Price included the car club discount. You will also need new panel clips, they are cheap and the parts dept should know how many you need. The panel is easy to install. Just pop the old one off the door, transfer the speakers to the new panel install the clips and snap the new panel on the door. You may want to check with your local dealer to see if they have the same price so you don't have to pay shipping.

bkothe guest

So I realized that I was wrong. The part that I received a quote for was actually the rear panel, not the front door panel. I received a new quote and with the CCA discount it comes to around $288.

UKFan4Sure guest

I begged, borrowed, and well, I didn't actually STEAL, but managed to piece mine together with some others ones by picking and choosing the good parts and reassembling them.

suva76

I guess this was a problem with mostly the 2-dr early E36s, but it may have run a few model years. I have a 92 318i (4-dr) and it has cloth door-covering, but in time, the darker-colored cloth oval insert around the door handle and back, also came loose, as did the headliner. I live in Hawaii, so the constant heat probably has been a factor, but I have heard that experimentation with more environmentally-friendly materials and glues in the early 90s may be a factor. I had the headliner replaced first, by a good local upholsterer, for under $200 - that was years ago, it looked better than original, and still does. later, I got all 4 door inserts replaced by same guy, about same cost. Later still, I had to get the sunroof liner replaced (wasn't done first time 'cuz still good) at similar cost.

Bought another 92 Bimmer, E36 325is and it came with all the records. Previous owner had - very soon after purchase, too! - the door inserts bubbling (as far as I know, it is only the insert sections vice the entire door-covering, that bubbles). And again later..and a 3rd time, I believe! They just kept replacing the entire inner-door with another one, but they must have had a lot of the original parts! Both doors were bubbling when I bought the car, some 2 yrs or so ago, one worse than the other. Instead of going to the dealer or otherwise buying yet another defective section, I went back to the same upholsterer to have the right side done. Not cheap (I think under $200), but cheaper than a new part. Left side has gotten a bit worse, with a growing bubble right around the door-pull. Pain in the butt!

toa5tmaster guest

where is this guy?

sportsimports guest

plenty of e36 door panels here

sportsimports.biz has over 400 bmw parts cars

DO you guys have any pictures to post. I have a 97 328is and the pax door arm rest area is/has detached from the door panel. It looks cheasy, any suggestions?

Steve