Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E36 dash lightswitch/light

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by 380326, Jul 12, 2011.

380326 guest

The bulb that allows seeing the headlight switch at night in my E36 has ceased to function. How in the world does one replace that bulb. Can't find a thing about it in my Bentley and prefer not to just start tearing into the dash.

MGarrison

I honestly have no idea, but

I honestly have no idea, but is the switch in a location that you can eyeball it without too much disassembly? Look if it's a bulb, or if it's lit by a fiber-optic cable that is illuminated by a bulb elsewhere, that's all I can think of.

tjrinaldi

There is a tiny bulb in

There is a tiny bulb in there; you'll need to literally pull on the switchnob to expose the mounting screw. Remove the screw, pull the unit (which also includes the left air vent). Examine this removed unit. Somewhwere in there is a light bulb exactly like the ones which illuminate the ashtrays, etc...

380326 guest

pull?

Now we're getting somewhere, I appreciate the advice. Does the knob pull off or just pull away enough to access the screw?

330indy guest

this is a VERY common failure on e36's up there in mileage