Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e36 318ti Fuse #46

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by kevinheap, Mar 11, 2009.

kevinheap

This has been found to be blown and the car not starting. This happens after the car has been run and wacky temp and gas level readings observed. Also on board computer goes out. After the fuse is replaced all is fine.

Car goes 1 miles to work and back everyday with weekly exercise; problem is new.

I will not try to use defective blower or dome lights and see if fuse blowing stops.

Where does one start tracing intermittent shorts on an electrical system. I know I have alot of homework to due but thought I would start here.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I had the same problem on my car and got lazy. I decided to replace the fuse with a self resetting breaker of the same amperage as the fuse. After it reset itself about a half dozen times it stopped happening and the problem went away. I could not ever find a pattern to it and could not reproduce a set of conditions that would cause it to pop the fuse. It was truly random. Of course it bothered the hell out of me because odd problem diagnostics is what I do for a living for crying out loud! Everything still works and the breaker never resets any more. Weird, I know, but that is what worked for me.

kevinheap

I had the same idea of using a breaker, I will try that too. Thanks again for the feedback.