Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E30 control arm bushing install problem

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Brian Cassity, Mar 31, 2009.

Brian Cassity

have 89 325i and purchased the M3 offset bushings thru NAPA and had them pressed in to my brackets. These things will not go back on to the control arms, I have tried all the tricks and pullers, something is just not right. Any enlightenment out there?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Silicone spray lube (lots of it) and a press may be your only option at this point.

Brian A

They are a BEAR! I pushed the bushings (just regular non-solid type) onto my control arms once and vowed never to do it again. (Second time I had a shop push the bushings into the lollipops and then push the assemblies onto the control arms.)

The way I did it first time was put a vice on the ground and clamp the lollipop assembly into it with the hole facing upward. I then lubricated the bushing and control arm shaft, put my weight onto the control arm and pressed and twisted and lubricated and sweated like crazy. Eventually it went on. Make sure you rotate the lollipop mounting holes into the correct position on the control arm, because you won't be able to twist it once you have it under the car. Your results may differ.

Here is the torment:
    http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=432