Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E24 Starting Issues

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by ceda205, Apr 20, 2008.

ceda205

I just got 1981 633 CSI that had been stored & not started for a couple of years. Engine turns over fine, good spark at wires & coil but no ignition. I suspected fuel pump issues but it has 24 psi at point of fuel regulator. I pulled the injectors, cleaned them with fuel injector clearer & reinstalled with new seals; still no ignition.

Could old gas cause it to not even hit once? I put gas-dry product & fule injector cleaner in tank, along with a couple of gallons of fresh gas.

What about fuel injection relay? Anyone know where this is located (looked in obvious spots)? Any ideas? Thanks

prairieman

I'm not new to BMWCCA, but am visiting this forum for the very first time...

Hopefully you got the starting problem resolved, I noticed you posted in April.

If the car has sat for a couple years, I would drain the tank completely and put in fresh fuel. It is a simple task to remove the tank from the car. I am confused by your statement that you have good spark at the wires and coil but no "ignition" ? Do you have spark at the plugs or not ?

This car has a combo relay that can strand a perfectly running older E24. The combo relay runs both ignition and fuel in one relay unit. It is located up near the brake fluid reservoir. I carry a spare in my glovebox. You might as well purchase one to try it, then if yours is good, you will have a spare.

Go to www.firstfives.org for the best info on the web for older E24's. There is a section devoted to the combo relay,saving me the trouble of keystroking a lot of information.

Brad