Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Difference beta ECU Flash and Piggyback

Discussion in 'F82/F83 (2013-present)' started by mroberto, Oct 21, 2014.

mroberto

Can anyone explain to me the difference between an ECU 'flash' and what is referred to as a 'Piggyback' upgrade as far as tuning goes? For instance, not just the programming aspect, but also the benefits, limitations, how one is preferable, etc- Thanks!

charlson89

To keep this kinda simple a piggy back system is basically a system that does nothing with the original engine ECU called a DME. All a piggy back does is take sensor data from sensors on the engine and change that data before submitting it to DME which in turn can make the DME go beyond its normal limitations. It does mean adding more wiring to the vehicle. (Not the best way in my opinion since your basically tricking your car) The ECU flash actually takes the data inside the DME and replaces it with new updated data basically new fuel maps, spark duration, vanos remapping. No extra add on's. The best way to tune a vehicle in my opinion.

mroberto

Great, exactly what I wanted. Thanks!