Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Did anyone notice that we are 12 days from JUNE, and the APRIL Roundel is still up?

Discussion in 'Roundel Magazine' started by bcweir, May 20, 2014.

bcweir

I'm beginning to see a pattern with this. The January Roundel got an extended multi-month stay on the site, and now the April issue has been up for nearly two months now. At this rate, we're going to see just FOUR online issues of the Roundel this year before it goes straight into the archive.

Is it just me, or does it seem like your staff is having an increasingly difficult time getting the online Roundel out on a timely manner?

It's not limited to the online version either. As of May 17, I haven't seen the May print issue either.

Is this something to be concerned about? I don't mean to nitpick, but this is one of the perks I enjoy for my $48 a year membership.
    • Staff

executive director

Brian,

Our staff has no problems publishing Roundel on time, evidenced by its timely delivery every month. For more than a year we have been printing and mailing earlier than ever before. Nor does our staff have problems publishing the electronic version of Roundel. If you move past the cover shot and click on the "issues" button along the left vertical you will find the May issue, along with every issue going back to January of 2002.

Unfortunately, the wing of the print house that prints Roundel has responsibility for uploading the magazine and changing out the cover shot each month. The landing page you see is their micro site, built and maintained by them. We are aware of the problem and are working with the provider to correct it. Due to staff matters on their side this is taking longer than any of us would like. However, I will point out again that the problem is one of cosmetics. The May issue is posted and available.

We could move the electronic issue to another provider but that would be far more expensive and not warranted. When we moved Roundel to its current printer the cost of the electronic issues and the historical library was negotiated at very favorable rates. Rates that could not be matched any where else. Today, we print and mail at at rates that remain lower than they were five years ago. By being aggressive in our business strategies and locking in structural discounts we consistently deliver a great value for your $48.00 membership fee.

That $48.00 covers more than just a subscription to a magazine. It also pays for your local chapter dues and your national dues. Roundel is approximately a third of that fee. The remaining funds are spent by the local and national organization to hold the types of programming and events our members enjoy. How little or how much, any one member enjoy those programs and events is up to that member.

Regarding the problem you are having with mail delivery I strongly encourage you to approach your local post office and ask that they place a watch for Roundel so as to solve this problem. The form is the Periodical Watch Notice. Unfortunately, the end user must make this request, or we would do it for you. In most cases this will solve whatever problem may be occurring. It will also be a cost savings for the club, as it replaced three copies for you in 2013 and two copies in 2014, all free of charge. We happily do that for you, as we do for other member, but your cooperation in resolving this prolonged matter would be greatly appreciated. Any costs you can help us eliminate allows us to deliver increased value to all of our members.

Thanks
    Frank

Thanks
    steven s likes this.

bcweir

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Frank. For me, it only becomes an issue when the delays occur and no one tells us members anything. From there, I can't tell if it's been delayed, cancelled, or if it's been up for so long they hope nobody notices.

As for the post office, I have a private mailbox retail store. The USPS doesn't accept parcels, and my apartment mailbox is so regularly clogged with junk from previous residents who no longer live here I'm concerned it would be just one more reason to not receive the Roundel at all. I have tried to bring the issue to the attention of the staff at the store (it's a former Mailboxes ETC, until it got bought out by UPS, now it's a UPS store. Nobody knows anything about why my magazines are late or even go missing. I'm beginning to think my only option might be to opt for a higher level delivery option that assigns a tracking number to my Roundel every month and requires a signature. I"m not sure if that option is available to members in my situation, but I am open to it as long it's not hugely expensive. Just let me know what options I have and what it would cost me.

I'd like to hope that the staff views my concerns more as a compliment to their excellent work on the magazine that it's so eagerly looked forward to, at least by me. I know you people took some flak for the redesign in January 2013 issue, but obviously, it didn't keep me away or cancel my membership. Sure enough, when I don't see the Roundel after the middle of the month, I call like clockwork. I hope it's looked at as a symbol of eager expectations and not raining on anyone.

Thanks again for continued excellence!

• Staff

executive director

Brian,

We can offer First Class delivery via the Post Office, but it is an additional $40.00 per year. Although, that does come with proof of delivery it would speed it along the way. Before you make that decision you should visit your local Post Office and ask them about the Periodical Watch form. Regardless of where it is being delivered Roundel still goes via USPS and they can at least verify for you that it is being delivered regularly to your UPS store. If that does not work we can explore delivery via UPS, but it will be substantially more expensive.

We are glad that you enjoy Roundel and hope you always will. The writers, editors and designer all work hard to deliver something fresh and new each month.

Let us know what you would like to do and we'll get it done.

Thanks
    Frank

bcweir

Frank,

I'll be more than happy to pay that $40 a year. Just let me know how and where to order that option.

I tried to do a search for that Periodical Watch form and I can't find it anywhere. I checked the USPS website and I couldn't find it there either.

Brian,

We can offer First Class delivery via the Post Office, but it is an additional $40.00 per year. Although, that does come with proof of delivery it would speed it along the way. Before you make that decision you should visit your local Post Office and ask them about the Periodical Watch form. Regardless of where it is being delivered Roundel still goes via USPS and they can at least verify for you that it is being delivered regularly to your UPS store. If that does not work we can explore delivery via UPS, but it will be substantially more expensive.

We are glad that you enjoy Roundel and hope you always will. The writers, editors and designer all work hard to deliver something fresh and new each month.

Let us know what you would like to do and we'll get it done.

Thanks
    Frank
    • Staff

steven s

I think Frank meant to say First Class does not come with proof of delivery.
    Your replacement issues are all sent First Class and get delivered.
    You can call the office at 864-250-0022 to add First Class.
    I'll PM you info if you want to provide your credit card info via another method

bcweir

I guess I am the one who's confused now. So if my extra $40 a month doesn't come with proof of delivery, just what exactly am I paying $40 extra for?

• Staff

steven s

First Class over Periodical Rate.
    Replacement copies sent First Class are getting to you.

bcweir

Sounds good. I'd like to do this Thursday if possible. Thank you.