Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cracked valve cover and Vanos trouble code

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by maxcruz, Sep 3, 2015.

maxcruz

My 06 had a cracked valve cover out of the blue. No abnormalities whatsoever before or after, no SES light, noise, roughness, balminess, etc. Had cover changed and valves adjusted. After about 100 miles the SES light came on. Trouble ode was for abnormal reading on the retarder end - 72, should have been 60. Had come on 5 times. Shop cleared trouble code and did something to reset the Vanos so it would re- acclimate (something like that).SES light came back on after about 20 miles. Still, no detectable abnormalities.

Is there a connection between the Vanos code and the cracked valve cover?

Thanks!

Eric

charlson89

Eric how did the valve cover become cracked? It is a metal cover very hard to crack. Vanos faults and a cracked valve cover should have nothing in common. Sounds like the vanos unit is giving you some issues. May be time for a rebuild.

maxcruz

I have no idea. Driving home on the freeway was fine but when I got on local roads I noticed burning oil smell. When I got home I realized it was me. No warning signs whatsoever.

Attached Files:

charlson89

Thats weird they only crack if some one over torqued them. Do you have anyway to run a vans sweep to make sure the exhaust side is giving you issue not the intake side?