Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Converting

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Rickbee, Oct 5, 2008.

Rickbee guest

Ok here is one i am hovering around and am not sure still should i convert my E30 325 from 4 lug to 5 lug i had a nice talk with a tech at the VOB dealer in Rockville and he recently did this and ran into a few issues but i thought i would ask you guys for your input.

az3579

Why would you want to do this?

Elkoholic

More prodigious wheel options...lol
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Plus:
    more wheels
    bigger brakes
    Minus:
    money
    money
    money
    Do you find your brakes adequate? If so, spend the money on something else. You can get really fantastic wheels for the E30 for that kind of money.

To do the conversion, you need E36 M3 front struts and springs and steering knuckles or any E36 stuff and custom springs. Then you will need ti or z3 rear hubs and brakes. Basically, I have thought about it, I have almost all the parts I need, I am a mecahnic and have a lift, and I still won't do it unless I plan to track the car.

az3579

Yeah, that's why I asked him why he wants to do it. I remember you saying that somewhere and I agree; it's EXPENSIVE! There's no point to doing it unless he needs any of the things you mentioned in the positives...

Elkoholic

All two of the positives...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Also, I am not surprised that a VOB tech would have trouble doing this swap. Most of the dealer people do not know that much about the older cars. If you want it done, take it to an independent. If he had done his homework, he would have found that it is one of the more straightforward things you can do to an E30 if you have the right parts on hand.
    Might I suggest my brother at Road Race Technologies in Dulles if you want it done? Cheaper than the dealer, too. Also, if he needs help, he can ask me how (don't tell him I said that :D)

Rickbee guest

Yea the tech listed those same parts to me and i had already made my mind not to do this conversion but i did wantt o see what a few of my favorite people thought.

toplessmtech guest

e30 4 lug to 5 lug

hi there was a guy in cali that did this to a white mtechnic convertible using e30 m3 donor
    i was thinking about it but money wise it was cheaper to go with bigger wheels and brakes and new suspension. check out turner or ireland engineering for this option
    good luck:D

granthr