Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Convertible top shocks

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mrl325i, Mar 25, 2009.

mrl325i

Anyone ever replace the shocks that help raise the convertible top? They are the same ones that are used for the top lid, as well as the seats.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

What do you need to know?

Brian A

I've replaced mine about 9 years ago and am due to do it again. They last 6 or 7 years before they get tired.

Shop around. Last time I looked, one of the usual suspect vendors (advertizers in Roundel) was selling them for $30 each, which is a pretty good price.

They are easy to replace. Prop open the lid. Remove the clip rings holding the top and bottom of the shocks. Use a piece of wood (or something) to push on the top of the shock and compress it a little so that you can slip it off the top pin. Be careful since there is still spring force in the old shocks. The new ones go on the same way.

I've never tried replacing the ones in the seats; seems like too much work and too much money for 6 more years of up-and-down.

mrl325i

I don't think I was clear enough. I am not talking about the shocks that hold up the lid (did that -- easy) but the shocks (same ones, I think) that help to raise the convertible top. My top takes a pretty good tug to get it moving from the folded position and I think those shocks are shot.

mrl325i

Bump. Anyone have an advice?

Brian A

Personally, I can't help because my top doesn't have shocks where your car seems to have shocks. Post the realoem diagram and give the part number. It's all a bit mysterious. You must have a power top or something.

mrl325i

Elkoholic

Nope...mine's still a workout-and-a-half...lol The only convertible top-related shock job I did was the tonneau cover lid shocks...and that was cake.

Brian A

I'll be darned. I didn't even know I had shocks there (went out to the car to confirm!). It looks like the whole top has to be removed from the car to get access to them. Does NOT seem worth the effort. I only put my top up a few times a year.

mrl325i

Yeah, that is what I figured, too.