Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Convertible Top Failure Then Suddenly Won't Start...Battery Good

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by VaBchZ4, Mar 10, 2016.

VaBchZ4

I'm trying to figure out where to go next. My '03 Z4 2.5 has been doing great for the past year until 2 weeks ago.
    Here is the progression of the issue:
    1. At purchase a year ago, car had to be in reverse to put top down. (Is this normal?) Top up/down has worked fine since.
    2. 2 weeks ago, on a warm day, attempted to lower top. No response, but got flashing orange/yellow light at switch.
    3. 2 days ago, after driving car all day with no problems the day before, tried to start car. Nothing. slow clicking but not like battery failure.
    4. Key on position 1 displays "EML" and "Service Engine Soon lights." Battery tests good and all accessories work.
    5. Pulled no codes using a Centech Deluxe OBD II & CAN Scanner.

I have read through the forums and see references to starter issues, a control unit under the driver's seat, and hydraulic top pump. Knowing that these Z4s have an issue with debris clogging the top well drains and nuking the hydraulic top motor, I have gone to great pains to keep the car under cover for the past year.

Can anyone help with how to approach this issue?
    Thanks!
    Rob

charlson89

First I would try tapping on the starter while cranking to see if it starts if so then yes it needs a starter. Yes it could need a hydraulic pump this is common on the Z4's

VaBchZ4

Thanks for responding! The problem with the orange light and convertible top turned out to be the top shelf was not lowered on one side. Fixed that with the twist knob. I banged on the solenoid with no luck, but will try the starter in the morning. If it's not the starter, what's left, the ignition switch and clutch safety switch?
    Thanks!

charlson89

You would need to check power while cranking going to the small connector on the starter should get 12v if not then you would need to back check to wear it looses the voltage.