Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

"Convenient" opening windows

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by zr6sbc, Mar 15, 2009.

zr6sbc guest

My 540iT has convenient opening windows enabled. Unfortunately, to many times, while in my pocket, the key button is getting pressed and opening my windows/sunroof. This button push happens while I'm in a building. I come out hours later to see my car open to the elements. Luckily, it hasn't been raining or snowing. I'd like to disable this feature.

The following document implies that this feature can be disabled.
    http://www.bavarianmachine.com/docs/98E46E52E53R50.pdf

Can I disable this feature without special equipment? If not, what equipment is required?

John in VA

You'll need a dealer or well-equipped independent shop to do this.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Somethimes this has nothing to do with your key fob. This problem has occurred on several different models and has been sometimes been traced to problems with the lock module or the body module. If you have it diabled and it still happens, you have other issues.

zr6sbc guest

Okay, the possibility of module problems didn't make my day.

I also have a 325xit. The rear hatch randomly opens. I traced this to the electrical connection above the hatch. This connection is in a cavity which would be exposed to the environment except for a stick on adhesive membrane cover. Apparently mine leaks which wets the connection enough to act like the hatch button is pressed.

I'll leave my keys on the table and see if the E39 windows still roll down. Better watch the weather too.

Thanks for the heads up.

ViolinARC guest

Any luck fixing this problem? Was it a simple fix or did it turn out to be something else? :confused:

tronsen

This happened to my '17 230i without the key being present. Locked and left, then returned and found the windows down, sunroof open, and lots of water inside after an intense rain storm. Bought certified pre-owned with accident history of an impact in the driver's door, this seems like too much of a coincidence. Does anyone have any details on how they've had this problem fixed at a dealership?