Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Connecticut Valley Chapter Tour to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome Aug 9th

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Region' started by lcjhnsn, Jul 26, 2009.

Autohaus guest

I would make it but I have a commitment at 4pm. Now only if the meeting was at 8am and a anticipated ETA was around 11am......

lcjhnsn

Well... the current weather forecast says showers likely, possible thunder showers.

I'm keeping an open mind, but if it's raining, I'm out. They won't fly 100 year old airplanes in the rain.

srobmw guest

It wont dare rain on our parade!

lcjhnsn

My fingers are crossed!

az3579

So, how was it?

srobmw guest

Unfortunately, due to the weather, it was more of a taxiing show than an air show. In spite of this, a good time was had by all. The CVC CCA didn't mind a rogue New Yorker in the mix either. Lots of cool vintage aircraft from near the turn of the 20th century. The staff at the aerodrome did their best to entertain under the circumstances, and we all received rain checks.

Twas a nice leisurely cruise up there, and no one rear ended me.;)

az3579

Arse. :rolleyes:

Turns out the person who rear ended me with the hit&run damaged something on the body because I can't for the life of me get my old rear bumper off so I could mount the new one. My mechanic says the body's warped because of the hit. :(

Autohaus guest

hahahahahahahahahaha

lcjhnsn

As the locals know, it ended up a drizzly trip. The Roadster was not at all happy to be cruising with the top UP and the wipers ON, two conditions that I usually try to avoid!

There were a total of 7 cars including one Patroonie (and no one ran into the back of him all day). There were in fact 2 09 M3's in the convoy.

As the day wore on, the mist got heavier. Ultimately, the Aerodrome cancelled the air show for the day. But that's not to say we didn't get something for our $$. First, they started and taxied some of their oldest airplanes directly in front of the crowd. Rhinebeck has the second oldest air worthy all original airplane in the world, a 1908 Bleriot.

After the taxi show was done, they dropped the ropes and let the spectators get up close and personal with the hardware. Finally, for those interested in sticking it out (me) they gave a very good guided tour of the planes in the static display hangers. It was interesting to get some personal insight into the collection.

I shot a bunch of pictures that I will get posted with a public access link in the next day or 2.