Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Club mechanics

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by kevinheap, Jan 4, 2009.

kevinheap

I am new to the club but had an idea. We have service advisors right?

It would be nice if some of the clubs had a decent mechanic in the club or friendly to the club that would let guys buy there own parts and give them a hand putting them in for a reasonable price at the some location that best suited the mechanic.

He would of course get paid a reasonable rate but the person with the auto in need would have the advantage of buying his own parts to save, helping a little if possible to save on labor, and maybe learn a few things from being on the job.

Just an idea? Has this ever been discussed?

94is guest

I have done a ton of work for club members, but I personally don't like people helping me, because it ends up being me teaching them how to do everything, and the job takes 10x's longer. Just my preference, no offense meant. I'd also buy parts for the job since I got really good prices (better than most people), so I'd make a little for my trouble, and the customer would get a better deal. I guess it would depend on the customer if I'd be willing to let them help (ie if they've never worked on a car, I'd pass on them helping).
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Mechanics don't like being helped. It usually takes us longer to get the job done with a novice "helping." That said, mechanics do tend to like side work when paid cash. The only drawback is lack of tool access. Your best bet is to befriend a local BMW tech that wants under the table money and offer them a deal. It is even better if said mehanic is the shop owner, because the lift access is then no problem. You must realize, though, that in the end the owner of a shop makes money selling parts and if you provide crappy parts, or even incorrect parts that waste their time, there is a loss. Then if there is a problem, who will you blame? The shop is covered by insurance, an individual is not. The owner of my shop (I don't work there on a daily or even weekly basis any more) lets me do favors for friends, but when it comes to using the shop to make money, he wants a cut, and I don't blame him! That place is expensive to run. Water, power, air, motgage, taxes, insurance, etc. I already get paid nearly half the shop rate (very unusual, btw) so side work is not that appealing, as I'd have to charge you nearly the shop rate to pay the owner a cut. Otherwise, it'd be me working with no lift, outside, no spares on the shelf, blah blah. For underpaid mechanics with a garage and lots of tools at home, though, you might be able to get some help. Me, though, I help my friends first, and everyone else better have cash (or I had better be able to fix it over the internet.)

az3579

There is a problem though. We are all very scattered, and the amount of people willing to do this wouldn't be plentiful enough to have a good spread of mechanics all over the country. Most of the mechanics might even be more centralized in one location instead of being in all parts of the country.

For example, it's hard to find a really good independant mech here in southern CT. I have to travel quite a bit to go to a good one, so while he may be "close" (an hour and a half of driving away), he's still too far to be a viable person to go to every time.

mooseheadm5

That said, you can always negotiate a discout with a shop for sending them club business, or for advertizing or something. Don't expect too much, though. The margins are slim, expecially when the economy is down.

1996 328ti guest

mooseheadm5

You will want to note sever circumstances about the NCC chapters DIY program:
    YOU work on the car, not the shop
    You purchase ALL parts from the shop unless you have special permission
    You use your own tools
    I believe my borther's shop participates in this (I think I met Steve at RRT once a while back at an open house) and the benefits are obvious for both parties, but when you get to the setup that the OP was talking about, the benefits favor the car owner and not necessarily the tech or shop owner.

1996 328ti guest

Probably saw you at an RRT open house.
    But yes, YOU work on your own car.

My indie let me watch all the time. I learned a lot by watching.
    Not many out there will do that and I don't blame them.

And helping just slows things down.

mooseheadm5

Yes watch and STFU is the best way to not get on the mechanic's nerves. Bringing food and/or beverages helps too.

I think yout ti was on the lift when I met you. There was also a weird kid with an M3ti. (OK, I'm done hijacking now.)

mooseheadm5

BTW, if you live in an interesting place and are willing to pay for transport and food for me and wifey, I'll work on your car for you :)

94is guest

Werd. I'm in San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles for members. :D

mooseheadm5

Kim,
    Ever get out to LaJolla to see the graveyard of rare bimmers?

94is guest

Been to La Jolla a million times. I'm not sure about a graveyard tho. La Jolla independent is about the only thing BMW that I can think of that is down there.

mooseheadm5

That's where I mean. My friend CJ in San Diego took a bunch of pics there. 700s, a 3200CS, and various other rare BMWs in various states of disrepair strewn around Carl Nelson's lot, sometimes buried under junk. But will he let me have any of them cheap? No :(