Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Changing My Accessory Belts

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Erich49, Mar 22, 2008.

Erich49 guest

I have new accessory/ac belts for my 2002 325i. It's pretty tight in the local of these belts - any tips on changing the belts? Do I have to remove the radiator? Any tips would be most appreciated - thank you.

mjweimer

You do not need to remove the radiator to get to the belts but you do have to remove the electric fan/shroud assembly.

Removing the fan is super easy; unplug the large and small plug on the passenger side (top) of the fan shroud, remove the plastic rivet and the screw located on the top outboard sides of the shroud (I don't remember which side has which), then carefully lift the fan from the lower mounts.

At this point you will have plenty of access to the front of the engine.

Locate the belt tensioner for the each belt and using a socket and breaker bar combo release the tension on the belt enough to pull it off and replace.

If you do not already own a Bentley manual for the E46 you should grab a copy. It will pay for itself easily in the long run.

Matt

Erich49 guest

Thank you!

Matt - thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I started this afternoon, and was a bit stuck. I now know exactly what to do, and ... have also ordered the Bentley E46 manual.

Erich49

mjweimer

Glad to help! Hope your project goes well.

Matt