Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Changing Lifetime Fluids?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Erich49, Mar 26, 2008.

Erich49 guest

My 2002, E46, 325i has "special lifetime fluid" in the manual transmission and differential. I have 100K miles and planned to change these fluids, but now am not sure if I should. Any advice?

snikwad guest

go for it, its highly recommended.
    lifetime fluid means, lifetime is until the part breaks. thats what the tech editor for bimmer magazine always says.

change it and feel better about your car.

M3Driver guest

Mike Miller recommends all those fluids be changed every 30k. Email him at Tech Talk and ask him to send you his "old school"maintenance guidelines document.

GregS_WI guest

I'm with you there

My e46 only has 40k miles but I'm going to change both diffs and the xfer case fluids. I did email Mike Miller and he recommended this. I will also use the Redline fluids he recommends. Now to locate the proper crush washers for the xfer case...

330indy1

it's not a bad idea to do it with a breakin oil change at 1200 miles

it is an M service mandate. couldn't hurt a standard bimmer either.... difference is.... you'll have to pay for it (I put Redline MTL in the gearbox and gear oil in the diff. on my 330i at 800 miles)

Rene325ci guest

I have a 2002 325ci manual gearbox. I just changed both my fluids to Royal Purple, not a huge difference, but i feel alot better so a huge difference their. Personally i don't believe in anything "Lifetime", everything has a lifespan.

mjweimer

So did the shifting effort or feel show any improvement when you changed to RP?

I am assuming you used Syncromax in the transmission?

Matt

GregS_WI guest

It did with Redline

I noticed my 530 5spd shifted much smoother when I changed the 'lifetime' fluid out for Redline MTL. I've heard people had problems in the cold, especially 2nd but the Redline has always been smooth for me (I switched before I did a winter on the old fluid.)

YMMV!

mjweimer

I am hoping the Royal Purple Syncromax offers the same improvement you noticed on your 5er with Redline. One of these days I will get around to changing the oil in the trans...it is sitting on the shelf waiting for my thousands of other projects to be completed.

Matt