Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Buying a E30, what to look out?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by williamk, Dec 12, 2009.

williamk

Hi,

I'm looking forward to get a E30 non-M. Is there anything I should really look out which may cause a big headache in the future?

Thanks
    Will

BIMMIR guest

Hi Will,

I've been looking for an e30 and researching as well. I'm probably a year or two away, due to tution for my girls. I've found that maintenance is the best key for an old BMW, e30 or otherwise. The better the ownership and maintenance history, the better the start you"ll have with the car. You could e mail Mike Miller the tech editor for Roundel. Ask him for the old school maintenance schedule for an e30, he will e mail it to you. This can form the benchmark for how well the car has been maintained, and what it might need, and how soon. From there, you will find that you can find a cheap car that you likely have to put alot of time and money, or both, into. Or, you can score one for perhaps top dollar that is all set.
    Not sure where you live, but I've seen some really nice ones. For example, there is a man in Virginia who has. or had, a red 325is with 49,000 miles on it for just under $9k. If you want his e mail address, PM me. There are a couple of nice ones on e bay right now. My favorite is a 318is in Louisiana, in Imola red.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE...ewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item4cec835d47

Have you done much research yet? There are 4cyl and 6cyl cars. Like today, there are sport package cars "is" with sport suspension, different wheels and seats, or "i" models with softer seats and suspension. Like new cars, just your preference.
    There are a couple of good e30 specific sites you might want to check out too. If you don't get the e 30 specific hits here, (Paul - are you out there, can you help Will?) these may be helpful. They also have cars listed for sale.
    www.r3vlimited.com
    www.e30tech.com

Good Luck and please keep in touch, I'd love to hear what you do, and why.

Tim

z31maniac guest

I'll make you a deal on a swapped E30 with an OBD-I S52 and big brakes!

az3579

Are you serious? You just built the darned thing!

Brian A

The topic of what to look for has been touched on quite a few times in this forum so it's really worthwhile browsing and searching here.

Best wishes in the search. E30s are pretty darned cool vehicles.